Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bellboy
    good thought... shot off an email to VSC.... see what we get....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

i really do try to respond on thing i know and rally is one of my passions and i figured out i could help steer this in the right direction since building rally cars and off road vehicles is why i decided to learn tig welding

would be nice to have a source for the deep drawn curved "taco shell" gussets...
    thanks....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Vsc

Got a nice response back from Chris Yandel from VSC

"Typically those gussets are homologated as part of the supplied cage kit, and as such are supplied with the cage kit. We design and homologate our cage kits with Custom Cages who supply us the kits.

http://www.customcages.co.uk/homepage

Regards,
    the Vermont SportsCar team"

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

found this pic
    Here you can really see that this gusset is made out of 2 pieces.

But this one in blue box seems to have no weld along the curvature. The heat should leave it's marks. But on other gussets on this frame it seems that they are made out of 2 pieces.

so it sounds like VSC doesn't know how they are made either and i doubt custom cages are gonna tell you how they do it for free the two piece is good if all you want is the look but they are nowhere near as strong as the one piece would be plus i think the two piece thing you are looking at is actually a plastic cover to something because if you look where it meets the carbon fiber there is a ridge or something

Quote Originally Posted by BELLBOYMOTORSPORTS View Post
    so it sounds like VSC doesn't know how they are made either and i doubt custom cages are gonna tell you how they do it for free the two piece is good if all you want is the look but they are nowhere near as strong as the one piece would be plus i think the two piece thing you are looking at is actually a plastic cover to something because if you look where it meets the carbon fiber there is a ridge or something
    Carbon fiber??? what carbon fiber?? what am I missing here?? plastic cover ditto????.......

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Am looking for more plcs of the Dakar Tuareg cage for more detail of A-Pillar/windshield and B-pillar roof curved taco gussets.....

ran into this diversion..... a street concept.... pardon the detour...

http://www.autowallpaperhd.com/volks...cept-2011.html

[Even the stock street V10 diesel is formidable , younger brother has one... can light all 4 tires and go sideways if you punch it... something that the Cayene turbo S that I had, could not do... would love to put either engine in a 914... would be fun.... more likely to see an Iltis than anything powerful in these tight finances,,,]
    Last edited by H80N; 12-07-2011 at 08:03 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

OK here is the detail on the Tuareg cage

gusset-1.jpg

OK OK Bellboy.... I see what you are talking about where Suvi has posted the pic where it looks like a weld line on the B-pillar gusset painted white... think that is a real gusset though not a cover... not positive though....

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Those guys have infinitely deep pockets and do things the average shop can't do.
    It looks to me like they are deep drawn and then trimmed into shape.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    Smithy Lathe/Mill