Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default WRC style gussets for rollcage.

Hi

There aren't really many pic's of these on the internet.
    here are few.
    http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/10..._roll_cage.jpg
    http://octanereport.com/upload/image...ta-wrc-001.jpg

Anyone know how these curved gussets are made in one piece? I was think that first you need to bend the sheetmetal and then use roll bending machine with some special dies to give it arc?

Any ideas?

Suvi
    if I am looking at the right part of your pics.... it looks like they are bandsawed out of prebent tube then plated on top.... and Tigged together..

Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

i think you are looking at the rihght part. but it seems that is made in one piece instead.

There is no sign of welding or head affected zone here.

Suvi
    if not made from tube and plates it could have been made from two pieces with the weld seam along the center of the curvature... that is how I would do it in my shop.... in order produce that part as a single piece... it would take a large industrial press.... those parts may be available but I have not seen them..(would take a lot of power to stamp those shapes...)

you have aroused my curiosity though... I will do some looking and asking around and see what I can find,,,,

also Andy Weyenberg, the super-moderator here knows a lot about cage and chassis fab... having many years experience with NASCAR construction... maybe he will have some info to enlighten us...

BTW... here is a link to the NASA Rally cage guidelines... they may be helpful...

http://www.nasarallysport.com/rules-...Appendix-B.pdf

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

The pre made "Taco Shell" gussets that I am finding are straight not gracefully curved like your examples...

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/rollcages.html

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

But i think it's a rule that gusset for rollcage has to be made out of one piece?
    From Appendix B – Roll Cage Construction
    "U-shaped sheet metal (taco shell). Refer to figure 253-
    34 below. Minimum thickness is .040” (1 mm). Minimum
    length along the unwelded side of the gusset is 3 times
    the tubing diameter"

But as you think that to make it in two pieces, should be really easy. It should be possible to make dolly even out of wood. Clamp sheet flat and tight to curved shaped dolly and hammer it over with wooden or plastic hammer. (it should leave very good surface) make 2 pieces, trim them and weld.

You quote Estonian saying saying in your signature. Any connection with the country?
    Last edited by Suvi; 11-28-2011 at 04:41 PM.