Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Electric Go Kart

Hi, Some pictures of an electric go kart that I made for my kids a year or so back.

The kart has a welded steel frame and motor mount. It is a simple welding project and uses stock sizes of square tube section. My kids love driving it and the project has created lots of interest.

We've set up a website with plans for the kart and lots of other useful information at www.electric-go-kart.co.uk

If your looking for that next welding project have a look at our site. It is pretty easy to build a the kart and it out-performs any commercially available electric kids kart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HWMRob; 09-22-2010 at 04:06 PM.

I like it.........good job..care to share any info on motors and electrics
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Smile

Thank you for the comments.

Yes, the kart has a 500W 36V MY1050 motor controlled by a 4QD speed controller. We used 3x12v 12Ah lead acid batteries - this gives about 1-2hours running time depending upon how hard the kart is driven. A chain drives the left rear wheel using mini-moto sprockets.

We've found the 4QD controller to be an excellent device, it allows speed and acceleration ramps (both forwards and in reverse) to be set. This is pretty important for slowing the kart up for younger drivers. Unrestricted, the kart can do 12-15mph on a full charge. The accelerator pedal operates a bell pot that sets the speed of the kart. We fitted a battery condition monitor to give an indication of how much charge is left. The speed controller produces a regenerative braking effect that really slows the kart up. A disc brake is also fitted.

We installed a separate lighting circuit. This powers the headlights and tail/brake light and a colour-change LED under the floorpan - night driving is great fun!

Yeah, but how do you provide that properly annoying sound with an electric? Just kidding, cool project! I like it alot.
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

That's just too cute! Nice job.

Nice job. I like the tinwork. Mike.

Default hi

I’m about 22 yrs of age now, but I remember we were young usually having fun with with certain toy ride on go kart that individuals had within our kindergarten back yard.

Electric Cars For Kids
    Last edited by SevereAlan; 09-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Default Electric go kart

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments - just to let you know that the plans are now free to download from our site at http://www.electric-go-kart.co.uk. Whilst I've been welding for a while my website building skills are still catching up..... We've made a few upgrades and changes to the site and generally refreshed things.

Rob

Default 3D PDF as a welding project design tool

We've been using 3D PDF files as a really useful, interactive, way to share our kart design.

Our conventional plans are free to download at http://www.electric-go-kart.co.uk/index.html and many of our customers asked if there was an easy way to visualise the kart in 3D.

We've made a 3D PDF file and you can see some screen shots at http://www.electric-go-kart.co.uk/plans_2.htm. 3D PDF can be viewed in Adobe Reader 9 (or higher) - free to download - and is a great format for sharing welding project designs. Have any of you guys used this format for developing project designs or for sharing them?

3d_pdf_screenshot_4.gif3d_pdf_screenshot_3.gif

Sweet looking ride, clean work, nice job!

Gord