Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 211 millermatic issues

Hey everyone. I purchased a 211 in march of 2010. Hasnt seen much use since, just little projects here and there (havent even used up a full spool of wire yet) Today i was doing some welding, using 110v, welding some 14 gage sheet metal, and the machine stopped feeding. It welds, but it wont feed wire. I tried playing with the plug for the gun, wire tension, ect, and still nothing. It welds and is feeding the shielding gas, just seems like the feed motor died on me? Doesnt even make a noise when pulling the trigger. Any ideas of what this could be? Tomorrow im heading to the local welding store that also services welders, just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on what it could be. Thanks again.

check the spool gun switch on the front.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

I checked and low and behold, you were right... i feel like such a idiot lol. Thanks for that, saved me the embarrassment of someone making me feel like a ass in person lol.

Send the man 20$,,, ha

it happens sometimes, glad to help
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

I did the same thing once on a Hobart Handler 210. It took me close to 30 minutes to figure out what was wrong with the unit. I had my mutlimeter with me as was ready to take the wrapper off the unit to do some troubleshooting when I noticed the little spoolgun icon near the socket for the gun control wires. This triggered an idea so I took a look at the rocker switch in the wire drive compartment, and sure enough when I installed the roll of wire onto the unit I more then likely bumped the switch into the spoolgun position.

I have switched it by mistake also.

I wish they would have reversed the power switch location with the spoolgun switch, power in the front and spoolgun in the rear.
    Miller 350 LX Tigrunner
    Miller 350P w/XR-Pro
    Miller 250MP w/30A spool
    Miller 211 Autoset
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Beta-Mig 251

Default x2...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I wish they would have reversed the power switch location with the spoolgun switch, power in the front and spoolgun in the rear.
    x2 on that.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'd go further than that - I think the spoolgun switch shouldn't even exist - the machine should auto-detect when the spoolgun is connected, and react appropriately. It would take a couple of extra components on the PC board to detect the current flowing (or not) to the drive motor via the small connector, or maybe even NO changes on the PC board to wire the gun drive motor to deactivate the power supply drive motor.

As to the power switch: I've already gotten fed up with that. I was borrowing a Lincoln with a front switch before I bought this 211, so that was a big shock to find the Miller switch on the back. I moved it last night...

I have a few other ideas for internal mods that I'll work on later: hanging multiple spools in the case, connecting BOTH gas bottles & auto-selecting them...
    Last edited by Steve83; 12-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.