Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need advice

Default need advice

I recently bought a miller 140 to help restore a '77 cj7 jeep. I also boght an auto darkening helmet, which I've never used before. I need a run down on how to use this thing. I don't know which settings are the best, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4bubba View Post
    I recently bought a miller 140 to help restore a '77 cj7 jeep. I also boght an auto darkening helmet, which I've never used before. I need a run down on how to use this thing. I don't know which settings are the best, etc....

If your asking for instructions on the 140, go to the tab at the top of this page, labeled "Resources", select "Owner's Manuals" , and then select the 140. You can download it to your computer or print it out. If you need instructions for the helmet, and it's a Miller, Go to the products tab above, and select Helmets, under each model series, there is a video section down on the lower left side of the page, covers what you need to know to get started. HTH.

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 02-15-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport
    Meco, Victor, O/A

I never have had much experience with the auto-darkening hoods, I'm still welding with my old ten dollar Atwoods special. Anyway i did use one at the school I used to go to. I believe they were all a fixed #10 shade and they worked really well. They were the solar powered type, and as long as we remembered to put em in the window when we were done, we never had any problems with being flashed. My dad has one that he uses every day along with his MM251, I think he might use a setting or two lower than a #10, but i'm not for sure.

As far as the welder goes, I've never had any experience with that particular machine, but I have run a 185, a 210, and a couple different 251s. If it runs anywhere as smooth as these machines do, it should be fine.

Hope you enjoy your Jeep project, a little over a year ago i bought a 76 cj7 with the 304 v8 and automatic to drive and restore as i go. Always wanted an old amc jeep, so jumped on this one as soon as i heard about it. Good luck with yours and remember that pics are always welcome here.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s
    2 Miller MM252s
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
    Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4bubba View Post
    Here are two sites, one where you can download an owners manual that will explain it and another on the operation of the 140.

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/basicMIG/index.htm
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC