Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default chain hoist A-frame help

I just ordered a 2 ton chain hoist for lifting heavy things out of the back of my truck, I have some strong tree branches to hook it to but I wanted to build something for it instead, something I can back my truck under, so I can place whatever it is I'm lifting where I want it, I was also thinking about making it collapsable so I can take it with me to load and unload things, maybe a pin or bolt can hold some pieces together so it can be taken down easily and transported, here is a terrible sketch i drew on my Android phone, any help or comments are much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should give you plenty to look over...

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...st&btnG=Search
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

they are easy to build, but don't expect it to be easily portable. the one I built is technically portable, but its more than a one man job, ****, just adjusting the height is an ordeal.

Last edited by youfoundtheking; 11-11-2011 at 10:47 AM.

I built one with reciever tubes on each end of the I beam so I can break it down and store it out of the way, can't find any pictures of it right now or I would attach them.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

2 tons? Wide enough to lift a 2-ton item out of your truck? The limiting factor here is the beam spanning the two sides.

A 100 inch (8 foot, 4 inch) span of wide flange W6-9 (like an I-beam but more stable) will take that load with about 3/16" deflection and peak stress of 18,000 PSI. For ASTM A36 material, this gives a factor of safety of 2 against yield (ASTM A36 material in this section has a minimum yield stress of 36,000 PSI).

This material weighs 9 pounds per foot. That span is a good 75 pounds without the chain hoist.

Now for the A-frame design. Instead of an A, make it a complete triangle. Use the same material. Width is all dependent on height. Diagonal gussets at the cross beam to triangle intersection is also a good idea. For a quick take-down, the design becomes more complex.

I have loaded mine about as much as I wanted to, ha, as I recall we measured it. I had a cobbled up beam and found another one. I raised and spread legs a little, will roll thru 14 door. I like it because although it has a home it can be moved around shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-12-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCarithers View Post
    I just ordered a 2 ton chain hoist for lifting heavy things out of the back of my truck, I have some strong tree branches to hook it to but I wanted to build something for it instead, something I can back my truck under, so I can place whatever it is I'm lifting where I want it, I was also thinking about making it collapsable so I can take it with me to load and unload things, maybe a pin or bolt can hold some pieces together so it can be taken down easily and transported, here is a terrible sketch i drew on my Android phone, any help or comments are much appreciated!
    Sure, very easy to make.
    I needed to lift my boat engine (4 cylinder Johnson) off my boat and the only way to do it was with a lift.
    I hung a 2Ton hoist off the frame I made at home.
    Then I had to load the hoist into the bed of my pickup and drive 60 miles south to where the boat is stored on the Gulf Coast.

Here is the frame as I was building it.
    I used a 4 inch X 4 inch H beam across the top, and put a wheel on each corner.
    The frame has no more bracing than you see in the pic and is wide enough for me to drive under it when assembled......

Is it portable?
    You be the judge of that.......

I got it down there and back and the engine came off the transom easily. So I have to say it is portable, but I need to take a ladder with me as it is 11 feet tall..
    pg
    Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
    Coolmate 3
    MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
    Victor O/A Rig
    Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
    10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
    Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
    Baldor 10 inch Buffer
    Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
    Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
    Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
    Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
    Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

That looks like a great design. My only concern would be the 4X4 H beam. How much does it weigh and is is hard for one person to place it?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    That looks like a great design. My only concern would be the 4X4 H beam. How much does it weigh and is is hard for one person to place it?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick,
    I used a W4x13 beam and it is 8 ft long. So 8 x 13 = 104 lbs.
    I made two of these.
    One I keep at the boat shed and it is standing erect over the boat.
    The other one is at home (broken down) and stored in the garage.

The first one I did went to the boat shed.
    I erected it by myself.
    The shed has a 12 ft ceiling so I screwed in a hook to a joist and raised the beam with a chain hoist. Then bolted the upright legs on..........

The one at home I have no high ceiling to use so I simply bolted one upright leg to the beam on the ground.
    I next picked up the other end of the beam and climbed up a ladder holding the beam in my hand.
    The end of the beam was then placed on top of a second ladder.
    I went down and grabbed a wrench and the 4 remaining bolts and attached that end to the other upright leg.
    The tail end of a 104 lb beam is not that heavy.
    I weigh 160 lbs and stand only 5'-6" tall, so if I can do this anyone can. I was working alone with no help at all in both cases.
    This one came apart the same way when it was time to store it.
    pg
    Last edited by piniongear; 11-27-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
    Coolmate 3
    MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
    Victor O/A Rig
    Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
    10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
    Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
    Baldor 10 inch Buffer
    Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
    Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
    Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
    Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
    Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.