Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Block

Default Engine Block

Ok I got this cummins engine block that has a hole in it. would you guys say that this would be able to be welded? I have the piece that was knocked out. I think its cast steel. would I be able to MIG weld it?
    thanks.IMG_2376.JPG

Its cast iron, not a material for the inexperienced to be attempting. If it showed up at my shop I would pass on it. No way to put a gaurantee on that.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

lol, I was just about to ask if that was the dreaded 53 block

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dre40 View Post
    Ok I got this cummins engine block that has a hole in it. would you guys say that this would be able to be welded? I have the piece that was knocked out. I think its cast steel. would I be able to MIG weld it?
    thanks.IMG_2376.JPG
    I 2nd the locknstitch. Yes you could mig weld it but first you need a $75.00 spool of cast iron mig wire. Deff not a first time job. If you were by me i would do it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I agree with fabricator ( You just cannot guarantee it )

A Metal master, The process you chose to weld it with is not as significant, Its more about proceedure, how far to weld, when to peen ETC.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I agree with fabricator ( You just cannot guarantee it )

A Metal master, The process you chose to weld it with is not as significant, Its more about proceedure, how far to weld, when to peen ETC.
    Yup. There are countless ways to fix it and lots of procedures depending on the way...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Lock n stitch

Quote Originally Posted by dre40 View Post
    thanks.IMG_2376.JPG
    Use the Lock n stitch process and don't take chances with the block. Threw a rod on track loader and put 4 inch hole in block. That's been six years ago and not a problem at all.

Default non stressed

Hello if the piece is not under any stess or wear if it is the part between the bottom of cylinders and where the oil pan bolts just weld it it's job mostly is to keep the oil from leaking out.

Default flame spray

I have used a flame spray torch made by ESAB which is the only way I would repair cast iron. For more details on how it works you could go online and look it up. But I have had a lot of success with it. Basically it's a oxygen and acetylene torch with a built in hoper and when depress the trigger you start spraying metal which has the same properties has the cast iron base metal so it will cool at the same rate so you don't get any crakes. Its truly awesome. I know my company stocks them at www.airweld.net but you can find them all over. Good luck.