Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Scaffold

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    Isn't the propose of OSHA to protect Employees from an employers potential hazardous work site?

No.
    The purpo$e of o$ha is to increa$e it'$ budget every year, increa$e it'$ number of commitee$, $tudy group$, influence & employee$, to reach farther and farther up the producer$ colon, to lobby more effectively on capital hill to increa$e all of the above, to $trip you of your profit$.
    No matter how noble the original intent, that is what govt bureaucracies inevitably do.
    $orry, I wish it wasn't true.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I was gonna comment, but I think JT covered it pretty good ...
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sporty View Post
    One of the things that made this country great is the fact the people throughout our history have done what it took to get the task completed. Unfortunately, this isn't the case anymore. We have the attitude that if you didn't do it my way, then it must be wrong. This must be an after affect of our government trying to wet nurse us from cradle to grave.
    You have completely missed my point. I see nothing wrong with the scaffold. I am trying to help another member avoid my experience. I have a similar "basket" that I made and use all the time, it is a very useful thing. I was using it hold insulation up above a standing seam roof I was laying.... due to a large public works project 2 miles from my site, OSHA has "been in the area" constantly. My jobsite is visible from an extremely well travelled road. The OSHA inspector saw my machine's basket in the air and pulled in. Long story short, my wallet became $5,000USD lighter.

Being 3 days from Christmas, I sure do miss that $5,000.

"Doing what it takes" can be a very expensive proposition since the OSHA act.... They have put a VERY large focus on fall protection and scaffolding in the last 3 years.

pro70z28,

poke fun at me all you want..... I instructed you to do exactly nothing. WHEN the ******* in the grey hardhat shows up.... go ahead and try and argue with him. I don't care. it's not my wallet.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

bretsk2500, if you think I was bashing you I apologize, just having fun as I do on other sites with no ill feelings. That isn't my intent, but this started out as a simple welding project thread & seems to have turned into a thread about corporate law. It's turned into more work than building the scaffolding. With all due respect I think my point is being missed. I said it as plain as I could in post #3, & referred back to that post again, trying to explain, but I think it is going unnoticed.

I am a 1 man operation. I have no employees. I have no subcontractors real or imagined. And while technically under an extreme circumstance I could be sited as an employer of myself, the chances are slim to none. According to their own web site if I had less than 10 employees I'd most likely not get noticed, (again I have 0 employees, 0 subcontractors). On those occasions when I am in an OSHA environment the company I am doing the work for provides any lift apparatus I need and a crew to erect & tear it down. So, if what I am doing in my insignificant world is still a problem, well then I don't know what else to say.

I hope you don't mind if I just back out of here and get back to my real life for awhile. It's so much simpler & enjoyable.
    Have A Merry Christmas everybody, Take time to enjoy the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    No.
    The purpo$e of o$ha is to increa$e it'$ budget every year, increa$e it'$ number of commitee$, $tudy group$, influence & employee$, to reach farther and farther up the producer$ colon, to lobby more effectively on capital hill to increa$e all of the above, to $trip you of your profit$.
    No matter how noble the original intent, that is what govt bureaucracies inevitably do.

J
    That is the best description I have heard of yet. I would like to copy that if you don't mind.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Quote Originally Posted by shortarc View Post
    That is the best description I have heard of yet. I would like to copy that if you don't mind.
    If you copy it as is, there is one "S" he overlooked changing to "$" and it is in bureacracies. So change that one and you should have it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by shortarc View Post

Of course I don't mind, copy it, rewrite it, embelish it, edit it, make it mo better, believe it and vote accordingly. Every stinkin vote counts.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    If you copy it as is, there is one "S" he overlooked changing to "$" and it is in bureacracies. So change that one and you should have it covered.

Where would the world be without the internet spelling nazi"s

And now I've reached a new low, my intentionally poor spelling corrected by a coonass.
    Surely this puts me in the bad spellin hall-o-fame.

Ho! Ho! Ho! A great Merry Christmas weekend to all, deck a halls!

JT

D**n near spit my chew all over the puter screen.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

No.

J
    You can replace "OSHA" above with the name of any government agency or regulatory board, that statement is still valid. Personally, for me it is the California Air Resources Board and the California Highway Patrol/DMV, I have three perfectly good trucks out back that are now uneconomical to operate. I have no doubt, sometime in the near future, the water quality board (we have one here) is gonna cite me for peeing on the ground out back.

Of course I don't mind, copy it, rewrite it, embelish it, edit it, make it mo better, believe it and vote accordingly. Every stinkin vote counts.

JT
    I wish people would. I believe the vast majority of the American public has no idea how insidious this is becoming, more and more rules and control for no reason other than to self-perpetuate their existence.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....