Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Scaffold

Once set in place about all the machine does is steady it, not hold it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    Once set in place about all the machine does is steady it, not hold it up.
    doesn't matter... if the forks are off the ground with no operator at the controls... you will be cited under USC 1910.178....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

I knew before I even started this project there would be a keyboard inspector or 2 that didn't like what I was building. I have no doubt you are right about USC 1910.178. I've been installing signs on everything from old rickety ladders to certified scaffolding installed by "professionals" & everything in between. I have yet to be sighted for USC 1910.178. Probably just lucky so far, I've only been doing this on a regular basis for 25+ years, everywhere from manufacturing facilities to corn fields across this great country of ours. I know, I know I'm being flip & I'm just not taking you as seriously as I am sure you think I should, but I hope you don't get too upset with me if I continue to build & use this unsafe monstrosity. Your sighting of USC 1910.178 is duly noted & will be taken under advisement at my earliest convenience.

Sorry, I'm sure you have the best of intentions & it may be upsetting that I am not going to cut this deal up on your say so, but I have a job to do by the end of the week that requires scaffolding & I just can not bring myself to put that old heavy scaffolding up by hand one more time. Again, and I can't stress this enough, I am truly sorry if I caused you or anyone else out there undo concern, but I will, no I must continue to build.
    Onward & Upward.

This is one of the reasons I don't come here much anymore. It seems like no matter what someone does, the OSHA, safety, "I know everything about everything" cops come out of the woodwork.

Lighten up people. Who cares what someone makes. Maybe it doesn't fit your idea of what's perfect or how you would do it, just take it for what it is. We're all supposed to be grown adults.

One of the things that made this country great is the fact the people throughout our history have done what it took to get the task completed. Unfortunately, this isn't the case anymore. We have the attitude that if you didn't do it my way, then it must be wrong. This must be an after affect of our government trying to wet nurse us from cradle to grave.

Pro70z28, I give you high marks for facing a problem and fabricating a very nice solution. I'm with you on doing what you have to do to get the job done regardless of what others say. Keep it up.

Default It is...

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    Too bad it's not legal.... Not so much the basket, but the machine holding it up...

1910.178(m)(5)

doing more or less the same thing you intend to.....

unattended truck with a load raised.... cost me $5k this summer.
    ...attended. He has the remote in his pocket...
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I didn't see where the guy was being a "keyboard inspector" or where he suggested you "cut this deal up" on his say so.

It looked like a friendly heads up from someone with personal experience (a negative one at that, most people try to avoid those).

What has been over the last 25 years really can't be applied today when it comes to regulation agencies and enforcers because they are all out of money from osha to state dot's to the local yokel police department.
    So now that the public tax money feed trough isn't near as full as it used to be, and they SURE aren't willing to do with less, and they produce nothing but have to survive by taking funds from the people who do, their enforcement goons have become a revinue stream and across the board they have ramped up fine collection to new and improved levels.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

O.K. I was just having fun with him last night, maybe I went overboard. Sorry.

I think this whole thing could be put to rest if he would just have read (or reread) the third post in this thread more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    O.K. I was just having fun with him last night, maybe I went overboard. Sorry.

I think this whole thing could be put to rest if he would just have read (or reread) the third post in this thread more carefully.

Well you do what you can do. osha may not have a hold on your world but who knows, you may creep into their jurisdiction some day so a little knowledge beforehand can be powerfull.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sporty View Post
    This is one of the reasons I don't come here much anymore. It seems like no matter what someone does, the OSHA, safety, "I know everything about everything" cops come out of the woodwork.

Lighten up people. Who cares what someone makes. Maybe it doesn't fit your idea of what's perfect or how you would do it, just take it for what it is. We're all supposed to be grown adults.

One of the things that made this country great is the fact the people throughout our history have done what it took to get the task completed. Unfortunately, this isn't the case anymore. We have the attitude that if you didn't do it my way, then it must be wrong. This must be an after affect of our government trying to wet nurse us from cradle to grave.

Pro70z28, I give you high marks for facing a problem and fabricating a very nice solution. I'm with you on doing what you have to do to get the job done regardless of what others say. Keep it up.

The guy, who I don't know anything about, never said he was a "osha safety, I know everything about everything, cop", he simply said that he was cited by osha for a particular offense. That's it as far as I can see. Kind of like saying the local cops are writting tickets at 4th and main street so look out.
    Giving my personal experiences with osha/msha/any other regulatory body of the government, doesn't make me a "cop", it makes me a guy warning other unsuspecting people about the things the real "cops" are capable of and what they are currently up to.
    And that can (and does) sometimes mean a laaaarge amount of money out of a working mans pocket. The difference between a good solid profit making job that feeds the family and pays the bills for months, or a job that a man loses money on. Bad, bad thing that losing money on a job.
    I could be wrong but it just appears like a friendly warning of a potential hazard (= $$$$ down the old tube) to me.
    But that's just my take.

What with the large amount of repeated phrases typed into your post I'll assume you've had a few cocKtails, but I'll add this, anyone who thinks a one in a million chance encounter with osha (msha/irs) can't put a small business into bankruptcy given the current economy is miss informed and treading on hazzzzurdous ground.

J

Isn't the propose of OSHA to protect Employees from an employers potential hazardous work site?