Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Dirt Bike Chassis Rust Repair

Today I started restoring an old Yamaha YZ 125.
    The bike was ridden near the saltwater I think from the rust in the sub-frame.
    Sanded off the paint, filed, chipped and generally removed rust scale to reveal the extent of the problem.
    Two holes joined by a small bridge.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

I ran a bead to try and find some solid steel around the holes.
    When I saw sparkles shooting out of the pool I changed direction away from the hole until I had a bead all around both holes.
    Then it was just a matter of a spiral bead pattern until the holes were closed.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

The proof is in the tasting they say.
    Ground/sanded the beads down to see if there were any inperfections.
    Yes there are a few that need another TIG but not bad for a first run keeping in mind the size of the holes.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Do you think it would have been better to replace the whole section?
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
    Cigweld TransMig 210se
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx

Hi Larry,
    Well the tube is CrMo and that is hard to find where I am.
    The tube also has two bends which is another problem to get right without squashing it.
    There are also two complicated brackets on it. These could be cut off and reused but I would have to make a jig to get them back on in the exact position.

This tube is part of the sub-frame and only holds up the seat.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Cool dude. If its only a sub frame suport for a seat, no probs.

Was a little hard to tell without a bigger pic.

If you need small pieces of Cro-Mo, let us know and i might be able to help you out. Will send to you.
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Kemppi ProCool ( coming soon)
    Cigweld TransMig 210se
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx