Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

thank you so much. its time i really start this career these local shops are fun to work at but its time i jump right into it.

There's lots of shipyards in this area... but Newport News Shipyard... In Newport News, VA... is the only one you can get into without experience.

You've got 2 options to hire in... work directly for the shipyard... (I don't have any info on that) or come in as a contractor. You'll make more money as a contractor... at least for the first couple of years.

The benefits are much more by working directly for the shipyard... including "double pay" for working sunday... instead of just time & 1/2. You also can get all of your safety equipment for free by working direct... including welding gloves. As a contractor... you're on your own with welding gloves... and your provider will supply you with other stuff like a respirator and earmuffs n stuff... but you'll have to pay to replace them if they break. Shipyard direct also has paid holidays which I don't get... & 401k. I hear that you can raise your salery pretty quickly by upgrading your certs... which you can do for free through their welding school.

The Navy wants perfect welds... of coarse they settle for less... but the more consistant you are with "close to flawless" welds... (ie... look pretty, symetrical, & flat) the more valuable you'll be and thus worth more to them.

I don't personally know. what they pay.. but I hear the shipyard hires direct for $18/hr. The highest paying contractor offered me $25/hr... I forget their name... but this is their number. 757-398-2980. I had already started the process with another contractor (at much less money) so wasn't allowed to switch.

You need a clean criminal record. minor stuff might fly... but I don't know.

kcuL dooG
    ttocS
    Last edited by ttocS; 11-26-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo

ttocs, didnt realize you were getting in as an outside contractor, I was giving info for someone hired in by the yard directly, like I did. Chriswelds, if you are looking to get hired in by the yard itself, what I was telling the original poster is for that. I went right to their website to apply, although when I got in it was Northrop Grumman still. Found this, looks like they are hiring structural and pipe welders both. https://ngc.taleo.net/careersection/...ch.ftl?lang=en Might also consider looking into X32 department, they do fabrication as well as welding, quite a few of those guys have a full set of welding qualifications just like a strictly welder. Any questions feel free to PM me

I was a 32 welder for a little while on the roosevelt. It is ok but not that great. Mostly welding thin gage material with stick. Alot of climbing through 17x24 holes to get to a hard to reach place inside the duct. There is some stainless work but that is mostly in the shops and for the older guys. Just a little input from someone who did it. Take it as you want.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
    You need a clean background and fairly good credit to get in because you need clearance.
    Did you need a TWIC card? I needed one this summer to work on river ports or board boats...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Did you need a TWIC card? I needed one this summer to work on river ports or board boats...Bob
    Nope, they handle all of the certs. WARNING: This is the federal government. It is not fast or efficient. If you are looking for a few months work then this is not for you. There is crap loads of paperwork and 6 months after applying you may hear from them about an interview. They had a batch of people come in this weekend for welding tests and interviews and it didn't look too good. I saw some coupons that were sitting on a table today. How they bullsh!tted their way to that interview is beyond me. Obviously NO experience stick welding at all. Gobs and burn through and not even going all the way across the plate. Ugh. If you are a good welder, apply ASAP. You WILL work for 30 years.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
    They had a batch of people come in this weekend for welding tests and interviews and it didn't look too good. I saw some coupons that were sitting on a table today. How they bullsh!tted their way to that interview is beyond me. Obviously NO experience stick welding at all. Gobs and burn through and not even going all the way across the plate.
    Thats typical. I have seen that at the 3 shops i worked at this summer. One kid went thru at least 10 lbs of 7018 because he could only run 6010 downhill. I told him to go buy a box of 7018 and practice some more. He ended up coming to my house and practiced and he didn't look too bad after the 2nd day. I just saw a guy last week spend a good half hour on an .045 fluxcore uphill and he didn't pass...Bob

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    One kid went thru at least 10 lbs of 7018 because he could only run 6010 downhill.
    I would be the exact opposite.... I weld structural at work.... so I never, ever use 6010... and because of that... I can't run it worth a ****.. xx18 sure.... 308L, 309L.. sure.... 6022... puddle welded decks by the acre with that one... 6010... nope.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    I would be the exact opposite.... I weld structural at work.... so I never, ever use 6010... and because of that... I can't run it worth a ****.. xx18 sure.... 308L, 309L.. sure.... 6022... puddle welded decks by the acre with that one... 6010... nope.
    Yup me too. I went to work at the barge company this summer and it was all 6011 there. 8 brand new mig welders sitting in the boxes and they are still using 6011. I always found some 7018 and took a razzing for using it...Bob

6022, ouch. My back hurts just thinking about that. Acres of decking with 3/4" puddle welds every low. Sometimes we would get lucky and the engineer would call for every other low in the middle sections but usually it wasn't the case. I made sure I got real good with adding poor stop so I would get to work alone and only lug 10' lengths of light gauge steel. Those were the days....