Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marlon88 View Post
    Hi 4sfed,

I use button 12 to set the total amps that I want to weld when button 1 (remote trigger) is selected. On the manual it says that button 16 is the On/Off for the pulser not button 12. Button 12 on the manual it says that its for Tig weld amps and peak amps when pulser is selected. So since the pulser is turned off, I am using button 12 to control total amps. Am I using the wrong button to set the total amps? What button do I have to use to set amps that I want to weld with? Is it button 14( Final amperage control)? But on the manual it says that when on remote trigger ( button 1 ) "when a foot or finger remote is connected to the welding power source , initial amps , initial slope , final slope and final amps are not functional.
    Isn't button 28 the one that sets the overall maximum weld current?

Kevin Meier, no that button only controls amps when on stick welding mode.

4sfed, I am using a foot pedal. So if not using button 12 to control total amps, which button controls the max amps when using foot pedal? I normaly use the machine on 1 button, on the video it is showing button 2 ON but that's to show that the machine is doing the clicking noise on all modes. I always used the machine to weld on button 1.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

After reading you manual again, I believe you are correct in using button 12 to select max current when using a foot pedal . . . so for HF start A/C tig you would select buttons 1, 5, and 20, and set max amperage using button 12. With a freshly sharpened tungsten it should establish an arc with amperage controlled by the pedal.

Do you get a shower of sparks from the tungsten when you try, but the arc doesn't start? If so, go back and read TJS's response in post #2, and watch the video. Arc starts with the older inverters are not as reliable as the transformer machines. Holding the tungsten very close to the work helps.

If you don't get a shower of sparks from the HF, look at section 4-4 of your manual . . . Programmable HF Start Amperage and Time Modes. Try 30 amps for 5 milliseconds first (factory default). If that doesn't work, try increasing amps to 40. On thin material (low maximum current) you may need to decrease the start amps or the arc will pulse at a light pedal position.

What settings are you using for D/C tig with lift-arc . . . buttons 1, 4 and 23?
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

I say again.

Headspace and timing.

As a new tigger, why are you trying to use the sequencer and a foot pedal?

Turn the sequencer and pulser off and ramp up your amps with the pedal.

The machine's telling you that you're trying to do something contrary to a built in program.

The Dynasty 300 stores different programs for AC and DC welding. I'm betting the DC use of the machine didn't involve use of the sequencer. For most one off type work, I never use the sequencer. I use the pedal. Maybe if you were doing repetetive jobs, the sequencer could be of use.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    I say again.

Turn the sequencer and pulser off and ramp up your amps with the pedal.
    Is it possible to deselect button 1 . . . or do you have to choose between 1, 2 or 3? If you can, then I agree with Sundown. The manual is a bit cryptic and doesn't explain the functions completely.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

4sfed, when on HF start and I start to get close with the tungsten there is no sparks flowing out of the tungsten to the metal. I tried different Tungstens types and all did the same. Then I get so close that I touch the tungsten and it sticks to the metal. Only buttons 1 ,5 and 23 are selected. HF start parameters are set: dc amps 30a and time 3ms , ac are set 40amps and 40ms. I copied them from 300DX manual which I downloaded from miller website.

SundownIII, I am not using the pulser, it is switched off. And when I am on remote button switched on, It does not allow me to use the sequencer so I am not using sequencer with the pedal. I am using it on 2T.

Can't believe that its so complicated to do a factory reset on this model... Here is what the Miller tech guy told me to do: "The method to reset the machine to factory defaults is not published in any of the manuals and we generally discourage doing it. To reset the machine a positive 24 volts DC must be applied to the A socket of the remote receptacle with respect to chassis with the machine turned off."
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

You have to select 1 2 3, it does not allow you to switch off any of them, I always select 1. On the video it shows 2 On because I wanted to show you that its doing the flickering on all buttons selected 1 and 2.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

Ok try this, turn off and restart the machine. DON'T press the memory key

Put your parameters into the machine on AC, try it. if it works save it into a memory location of your choice remebering that these 4 locations hold apparently 16 different programs.

It may be that your DC tig program is stored there, and there are not any AC programs stored sooo trying to run AC on a DC program is not a good thing.
    Last edited by cruizer; 11-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Did you even go through the memorys to find out what was stored there?

and are you looking at the correct manual as there are 2 different 300DX manuals

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Ok try this, turn off and restart the machine. DON'T press the memory key

Put your parameters into the machine on AC, try it. if it works save it into a memory location of your choice remebering that these 4 locations hold apparently 16 different programs.

It may be that your DC tig program is stored there, and there are not any AC programs stored sooo trying to run AC on a DC program is not a good thing.
    My machine always starts up with the program that was in use when it was last shut down . . . and any subsequent panel selection overrides the programmed parameters. I have the "other" 300DX. Do they work differently?

Since there are no sparks when he steps on the pedal, it sounds to me like there is no HF.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer