Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you open up the plug that came with the machine and tighten all the terminals? These twist lock plugs tend to loosen off and the input cables tend to either fall our or heat up their sockets.

The plugs are the first thing we go after when a failed machine comes in.

Just came back from the workshop , checked all wiring in the breaker/switch box and in the wall mounted plug and everything checked ok. Wire colors all matched good with the diagrams and everything was tight. I even opened the plug that came with the machine, everything is nice and tight. I have a new video that I am going to post. The noise/flickering it makes on AC mode is sensitive to frequency settings, the more you add HZ the noise goes to higher pitch. The noise is comming from the bottom rear part of the machine. I will post the video as soon as I get home.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=DSCN5899.mp4

Here is the video I mentioned in my previous post.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

Sorry,

Couldn't watch any more. Got a crick in my neck trying to view it sideways.

I'm still betting on one of two things:

1. Power issue

2. Headspace and timing issue (Operator). You're "pushing a lot of buttons", but do you understand what they mean/do? Early on in the video, it appeared that the upslope indicator was flashing. Sure seems to me that you're trying to do something to override a preprogrammed sequence.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

I see you have memory 1 key pressed, these 4 memory buttons hold up 10 programs. Did you go through the programs before you fiddled with it?

Almost seems like your playing with the pulse functions and have the background screwed up.

I only pressed the AC and DC mode buttons and AC frequency to change HZ frequency parameter. Yes I know what the buttons do, I downloaded the manual for this model and read most of it to get familiar with the machine. Pulser is always switched off so I am not playing with any programs. The memory buttons, I did not mess with them, from since when I bought it I only used it on the number 1 button, I tried the other 3 buttons to see if it changes anything but it still does the same problem so I put it back on memory 1. I had been using the machine in DC mode without any problems for the last couple of months. The problem started when I tried using it in AC for the first time. The lights flashes because there is a fault, if you turn the sound up you can hear the clicking from inside the machine and the lights flashes at the same time. I dont know how the electrical installation can be bad because I been using the machine without any problems on DC for these last couple of months.

I asked the tech guy from miller how to do a factory reset on this machine because the technical manual he sent me does not list anything how to do it.

Here are some pictures of stuff I did with it to show you guys that the welder worked great on DC mode. I am a beginner tig welder so my work is not perfect yet, I am still learning. These parts went on my friend's turbo Honda.

Last edited by marlon88; 10-31-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

Quote Originally Posted by marlon88 View Post
    Hi guys,

I need your help about a problem I am having with my Dynasty 300DX.

Since I bought the machine I only used it to weld stainless steel on DC mode. Today I tried welding aluminum for the first time on AC mode. When I tried to establish a weld pool it started the arc but could not develop a weld pool like there was not enough power. Amps were set to about 180 so with that amps it should melt the 1/4 inch aluminum flat bar I was trying on. Then I turned up a bit more frequency and changed ac balance, then when I tried to start an arc, it started doing a clicking noise from the lower/rear part of the machine and when I looked at the machine, the display was flickering and some of the green lights coming on and off.

I discovered that the machine only does this when set on HF start . On Lift Arc mode it welds fine in DC mode on stainless steel, but in AC it does not start an arc no matter what settings I try.

Hope to hear from you guys soon,

Thanks
    Marlon
    Your panel has a completely different layout from mine, but it appears you have selected the "remote trigger hold" (button 2) and the pulse function (button 12). For A/C tig welding using HF start and a foot pedal, select buttons 1, 5 and 20 . . . for D/C tig select 1, 5 and 23.

With "remote trigger hold" selected, the machine is expecting you to push and release the pedal. It will then start the weld program you have set. By holding the pedal down continuously, I believe the machine is repeatedly trying to restart the program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 4sfed; 11-01-2011 at 12:01 AM.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Hi 4sfed,

I use button 12 to set the total amps that I want to weld when button 1 (remote trigger) is selected. On the manual it says that button 16 is the On/Off for the pulser not button 12. Button 12 on the manual it says that its for Tig weld amps and peak amps when pulser is selected. So since the pulser is turned off, I am using button 12 to control total amps. Am I using the wrong button to set the total amps? What button do I have to use to set amps that I want to weld with? Is it button 14( Final amperage control)? But on the manual it says that when on remote trigger ( button 1 ) "when a foot or finger remote is connected to the welding power source , initial amps , initial slope , final slope and final amps are not functional.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

marlon,

Sorry, I assumed you were using a foot pedal. Yes, when using a switch pad, you set final amps with button 12, so select it along with buttons 1, 5 and 20. The problem comes when you select button 2. The machine is looking for you to depress and release the remote trigger in order to start ramping up the current. You would then press and release it again to begin the ramp down. If you continue to hold the trigger down, the machine repeatedly tries to restart the sequence.

When you select button 1, the arc will ramp up as soon as the remote trigger is pushed then continue at the selected amps until the button is released . . . at which time it will begin the ramp down.

Button 3 gives you more options and is described well on page 23 of your manual.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer