Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Just one tip to add to a GREAT job...

...the amo box should open the other way...you will find out why sometime down the road, maybe the first time it is left unlached.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed the build, even though it took me longer than I had planned.

As for the opening of the boxes, the lids actually latch on both ends and come completely off. They don't hinge open. I thought about trying to make them hinge, but decided it would be too much work for not enough gain.
    "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
    -- PAUL HOWE --

Thumbs up

Dang, for a first big project you sure made it look easy! Great job.

Default Nice, where did you find the rotary clamps?

I was a little concerned about the weight you were building in until I noticed you had a backhoe.

You might consider welding a safety chain connecting the lid to the can inside the front edge of the ammo boxes.

I would appreciate it if you would let me know where you finally found the ammo box latches.

Seriously, great job, it matches the character of the hummer perfectly and they sure need the extra space which is what I like most about my Land Cruiser.

Job well done! The mounting tabs with the Hummer Logo, did you make them? How? Or where did you find them?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

I will look at my records and see where I got the latches from.

The mounting brackets I had done at a local machine shop that has a water jet cutter. I made an image of the emblem the size I needed, and they scanned it into the machine.

This is where I found the latches:

http://www.southco.com/
    Last edited by Scarsman; 10-20-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Add link
    "When life gets tough and it looks like the gators are going to get you, step back, take a deep breath, and start killing them one at a time, usually the closest one first."
    -- PAUL HOWE --

Awesome looking rack, nice job.
    Dont forget to post your other projects.
    Thanks for sharing

You did a real fine job with the design and build on this project, really compliments the Rig you got. Especially the added touch on the mounting brackets. Now you might want to consider building a matching brush guard for the front to protect the grill during off road excursions.

Thanks guys! A brush guard is next on the list. I am hoping to have time for that this winter. I am getting ready to start another rack right now for a friend with an H3.
    -- PAUL HOWE --

I looked at a few pics and have to say nice job I'm what you might call a professional and that it of top quality from what I looked at.