Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pics of my first weld beads

Here are the first four beads (if you can call them that) using my new ArcMaster 185. I have never welded before. "Oh really? That looks like pro-level work to me" you say?

The direction of all welds was right to left. This is 16 gauge aluminum and no filler rod was used.

In order...

1. First arc. Had no idea what to expect. Just hit the foot pedal and prayed something would happen.

2. Something did happen, let's try again.

3. Didn't look like enough argon in the last one, so turned it up a little.

4. Remembered my foot was on a pedal that could be modulated, so played a little. I think I need to dial in a touch more pre-flow.

The only thing that worries me is that I didn't realize my auto-dimming helmet wasn't turned on (stupid, stupid) for the first weld. I was thinking "darn this is bright, but I do have a helmet on". Then I played with the settings and discovered my mistake. The helmet worked perfectly for the rest.

My question is... am I in for some serious pain tonight? I watched for about 15 seconds or so with the helmet in the off position (which is still like a 5 I think). But I definitely saw a nice ghost image in my eyes when I stoped.

Default good luck........

LOL i don't know, but i bet you'll tell us tomorrow if you was in pain or not........ lol but first thing's first though, if you want to be a welder you're going to have quit being so honest! lol some things just need to be kept to ourselves! just in case though, if you can still see to drive, wouldn't hurt to make sure you have plenty of milk and some potatoes in the kitchen, because it might be along night.....??? i hope things go well tonight! rodney
    Last edited by handirod; 02-11-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post

The only thing that worries me is that I didn't realize my auto-dimming helmet wasn't turned on (stupid, stupid) for the first weld. I was thinking "darn this is bright, but I do have a helmet on". Then I played with the settings and discovered my mistake. The helmet worked perfectly for the rest.

My question is... am I in for some serious pain tonight? I watched for about 15 seconds or so with the helmet in the off position (which is still like a 5 I think). But I definitely saw a nice ghost image in my eyes when I stoped.
    The bad part is, someday you'll do it again. Like handirod said, make sure you have a raw potato handy, slice it and lay it across those eyes when they start showing signs of PAIN, oh you will know. I doubt if you will want to weld tomorrow.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by handirod View Post
    ...if you can still see to drive...
    ROFL. Thanks for the pep talk!

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    The bad part is, someday you'll do it again.
    No, no, no, no... Well, maybe. But, please, no, no, no.

I am just hoping the helmet blocked enough for short term exposure, even when turned off.

I've got some potatos and I'm not affraid to use them. The sight might scare the wife and kids, but they'll deal with it.

Any estimates on how long it would be before I know for sure? If I was going to feel pain, would it start within 2 hours, 4 hours, etc.? It has been about 2 so far, and while I'm not in pain, I can "feel" I was staring at a bright light. So there is some effect. Hopefully this is as bad as it will get.

Default Auto darkening helmet - getting flashed

What brand of helmet do you have?

I have an Optrel, and I did the same thing. (You can turn-off the autodarken feature so you can grind without it obscuring your vision. I just forgot to re-enable it...)

I was flashed for about 5 seconds, when I said the same thing, "Man, this looks brighter than it should..." then realized my error. The good news is that the glass in the helmet is designed to protect your eyes if the darkening feature fails completely (or I forget to re-enable it). My eyes were fine. (No visits from the nocturnal welding sandman.)

I suspect your helmet is the same. The first autodarkening helmets were using inferior technology and they would darken more slowly, which left welders staring at a "dot" when not welding. This led manufactures to install glass that would protect your eyes to compensate for the slow autodarken circuits. After the circuits improved they kept the glass around, as a safety precaution. Now, even if they fail you won't get flashed.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Coolmate 3

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Dave View Post
    What brand of helmet do you have?

I was flashed for about 5 seconds, when I said the same thing, "Man, this looks brighter than it should..." then realized my error. The good news is that the glass in the helmet is designed to protect your eyes if the darkening feature fails completely (or I forget to re-enable it). My eyes were fine. (No visits from the nocturnal welding sandman.)
    It is a 3M Speedglas 9002X. Hopefully my experience will be the same as yours. I like to think 3M produces good stuff (and not just because I work for them ).

Thumbs up

Don't get down everyone does it at least once even if they don't admit it its all good live and learn and keep on burning

It feels like you get a visit from the EVILsandman.
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Victor O/A
    Chop Saw
    Porta-band
    grinders
    hand tools

you should be fine .the "burn" is from ultraviolet light.auto darkening hoods are protected from this in the light stage also,usually to a shade 14 or 15.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES