Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default railing jig bench/table

Anyone got some pics of there railing fab jig.Ibeen building mine on the floor and its getting old real fast.What i do is lay out the staircase in marker on the shop floor and build off of that. Typ. riser being 7" steps being 12" railing finish ht. any where from 34"-38".Spacing on 1/2"sq. pickets being 3-1/2".Using 1"x3/16" flat top and bottom of pickets then Cap. moulding. Ideas or suggestions for a better way????
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Whenever I do railing, I figure out the spacing I need and grab a couple of pieces of aluminum angle iron. I place them back to back and cut grooves for the pickets in them with my mill (but other suitable means are obtainable). One piece serves as the top template, the other for the bottom. I usually do 5 grooves. I'll clamp the angle to the base and top and lay my pickets into the grooves. After the first 5 pickets are tacked in place I move the template over to the last picket and can then add 4 at a time from there.
    Hope that helps.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default Not built yet

Was planning to build a rotating jig on top of my saw horses. Vertical tabs to clamp the top and bottom rails parallel. Then use a spacer jig like above for pickets. Can adjust the height of the pickets using a horizontal strap. Rotation let's you weld both top and bottom rail in flat position. Not used it for the railing I want to build for my house, but we have built quite a few 24 foot cattle panels on something similar.

Default Not built yet

Was planning to build a rotating jig on top of my saw horses. Vertical tabs to clamp the top and bottom rails parallel. Then use a spacer jig like above for pickets. Can adjust the height of the pickets using a horizontal strap. Rotation let's you weld both top and bottom rail in flat position. Not used it for the railing I want to build for my house, but we have built quite a few 24 foot cattle panels on something similar.

I built two "saw horses" then simply placed two 6x9 "I" beams perpendicular to the horses. My horses are 10ft my beams are 20ft. works really well for gates, hand rails, fence panels. I do all kinds of odd ball jobs... I even have two 10ft beams that i clamp to my trailer for onsite fab.

Quote Originally Posted by ddfarmboy View Post
    when you built that jig i'd like to see a pic