Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Educate me

"...would use gas-shielded fluxcore, if you can. It's an all around better wire then the self-shield fluxcore...."

"...you were talking about innershield wire (gasless). You can also run dualshield wire (flux core with gas) but still...."

I thought wire was gas-shielded (from a bottle) or flux -cored (for use without a bottle)

• What is "innershield"
    • Is "gas-shielded fluxcore" flux wire used with bottle gas?
    • Is "dualshield fluxcore used with gas from the bottle?

Until reading this, I thought you used flux-core with the proper polarity setting and without necessarily using a nozzle for rough work, for added penetration, and for outside windy conditions. Gas (CO2, Argon/CO2) was used with a nozzle and a different polarity inside for clean work.

The discussions referenced above seem to indicate the use of flux-core in combination with gas and/or different types of shielding resulting from using flux core wire.

I'm confused. Would someone explain this to me. Things were simpler when I was a kid building cotton trailers a long, long, time ago.

Never heard the term "gas shielded flux core" I think he means dual shield. Shield gas from a bottle with tubular (flux filled) wire.

Inner shield just means flux cored same as coreshield. Gas shielded flux core gives better welds with easier clean up than just fluxcore by itself. More expensive process but less repairs. Any gas shield is better suited for indoors. The letter T on the electrode designation stands for "tubular" meaning flux filled wire.

Inner shield wire is a flux cored tubular wire. It needs no shielding gas, hence the term inner shield. Dual shield wire is a flux cored tubular wire that uses shielding gas. Outer shield wire is only shielded by the gas.

I wish the random statements such as "dual shield gives better welds than flux core" would stop. Each wire used in the applications that they are made for gives the best welds for that application. I can lay very nice looking welds that pass code with inner shield or dualshield or stick. Most people that knock "flux core" have used it with a 110 migwelder & have not used it with a properly setup dialed in machine.

There is no one wire that fits all and does everything exceptional. That is why they make different ones. Pick the correct wire for the job at hand.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Inner shield wire is a flux cored tubular wire. It needs no shielding gas, hence the term inner shield. Dual shield wire is a flux cored tubular wire that uses shielding gas. Outer shield wire is only shielded by the gas.

I wish the random statements such as "dual shield gives better welds than flux core" would stop. Each wire used in the applications that they are made for gives the best welds for that application.
    I never looked at the wire that way but you are right...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

You dont have to explain this to me.
    Where I work '"in a mine on top of a mountain" we dont use gas-less fluxcore, it's just not good enough". We use it outside or inside.
    If we use it outside, we tent it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Define "all around better wire".
    I'm guessing you haven't tryed to build many tents atop a mountain or in a valley. In heavy winds.
    Flux core is used where it's used for some very good reasons.
    Don't confuse "easy to run" with "better".

J

I should add that even inside, FC is used in a lot of applications (look at heavy equipment construction) where the designer want's to save welding time ($$$) by taking advantage of the deep penetration FC gives. That effectively reduces the required size on fillet welds and that = large money in the bank.
    I haven't use much innershield wire that had all around good mechanical properties.

At the mine, we use only dual shielded inside and outside.
    Outside, until you cant shield yourself enough anymore. Then we use stick.
    We haven't find a practical innershielded to replace dualshielded for our application.
    That's why I think dualshielded is a better all around.
    But hey what do I know.

[QUOTE=Daniel;273199]I haven't use much innershield wire that had all around good mechanical properties.

QUOTE]

Then you're using the wrong wires. The mechanical requirements for the T-8 wires (a self shielded FC) are the same as for the T-1 (a gas shielded FC), except for a 2% difference in elongation #'s.

J

But, the T-8 wires require considerable more skill in the workforce. All of the voltage sensitive wires are considerably more difficult to use, but they're used by the rail car load in structural steel urection, bridge construction, etc. In fact their main purpose in life is to meet severe siesmic regulation.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 10-10-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Where I work '"in a mine on top of a mountain" we dont use gas-less fluxcore, it's just not good enough".

With a little effort you can get (for free), literature from Lincoln, Hobart, Esab, etc that plainly lists the chemical and mechanical properties of just about any consumable made.
    That would help prevent making ignorant statements like the one above.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    With a little effort you can get (for free), literature from Lincoln, Hobart, Esab, etc that plainly lists the chemical and mechanical properties of just about any consumable made.
    That would help prevent making ignorant statements like the one above.

J
    Before you go on and call people ignorant you should read and understand .
    The engineers, where I work are telling us to use this gas shielded fluxcore "" which is ultracore from Lincoln " because it is the best for our heavy equipment repair, electric shovels and drills etc..
    I think if they could they would tell us to use self-shielded fluxcore.
    Plus as a bonus it doesn't spatter like most self-shielded fluxcore.

But hey, what do I know.