Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Charpy Impact testing requirement for ASME B31.3 and API SPEC 6A welding application

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions that I need help with please: all welding procedures are for ASME Section IX

1. When developing weld procedures to weld pipe materials like P1 (A106 grade A, B, C, and API 5L X-41, X-46, and X-56) to the same or any P1 to P1 combination for ASME B31.3 application in an oil and gas production site for flow lines, I do not need Charpy impact testing for temperatures of -20F and above right?

2. What if I'm developing welding procedures to join API wellhead flanges (materials: 4130 welded to the same), is there any minimum temperature for Charpy impact requirement, in other words, if the temperature anticipated is going to be -20F and above, is Charpy impact testing required for this material. If Charpy is required and it is not at -20F, at what temperature is it required, or do I have to test for impact/toughness no matter what the temperature is for the 4130 material?

3. What if I'm developing a welding procedure to transition from API wellhead to ANSI line pipe (material: 4130 to A106 B or any other P1 material), since the design of this joint is based on the weaker material (A106 grade B or other applicable P1), do I need Charpy impact testing for -20F and above?

Note: All welding procedures per ASME Section IX

Default Iimpact testing for ASME B31.3

A106-B,P1-P1 Pipe as per ASME B31.3 construction code does not typicaly require impact testing, down to -20f.
    Below -20f you should be using A333 (low temp) Piping with impact testing down to -38
    Rememer this is minimum code requirements and customer requirements may require more stringent criteria.
    You can use A106-B piping at below -20f (ambient temp) if you insulate and or heat trace the piping system. It all depends on the circumstances and customer requirements.
    Production lines in Alberta usually have glycol heat trace and insulation installed around them for ease of product flow, but you should not rely upon heat trace alone,it could go down, Low temp piping is usually specified by the customer.
    You should develope your welding procedure's with your customers requirements in mind,as well as ASME and ABSA requirements.

Default Impact testing requirement

Thanks for your response:
    I completely understand your response about P1 to P1 and I agree.
    What about P1 to 4130 and 4130 to 4130?

Thank you.

Default A106 to 4130

Quote Originally Posted by mysarah View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a few questions that I need help with please: all welding procedures are for ASME Section IX

1. When developing weld procedures to weld pipe materials like P1 (A106 grade A, B, C, and API 5L X-41, X-46, and X-56) to the same or any P1 to P1 combination for ASME B31.3 application in an oil and gas production site for flow lines, I do not need Charpy impact testing for temperatures of -20F and above right?

2. What if I'm developing welding procedures to join API wellhead flanges (materials: 4130 welded to the same), is there any minimum temperature for Charpy impact requirement, in other words, if the temperature anticipated is going to be -20F and above, is Charpy impact testing required for this material. If Charpy is required and it is not at -20F, at what temperature is it required, or do I have to test for impact/toughness no matter what the temperature is for the 4130 material?

3. What if I'm developing a welding procedure to transition from API wellhead to ANSI line pipe (material: 4130 to A106 B or any other P1 material), since the design of this joint is based on the weaker material (A106 grade B or other applicable P1), do I need Charpy impact testing for -20F and above?

Note: All welding procedures per ASME Section IX
    "a) Design drawings developed in accordance with a design code/code of construction
    b) Service conditions and NACE requirements
    c) Canadian registration number documentation for the 4130 hammer unions
    d) Minimum acceptable mechanical properties of the welded 4130 hammer unions after postweld heat treatment
    The above was a reply from Ludwig Edmonton on the requirements for developing WPS's for A106 to 4130. In addition it was suggested to reference the ERCB Directive 077 as it also has a bearing.
    Any other information from the forum would be appreciated."