Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I can't add much to what Tackmig & others have said,
    but even going back and working there:

Only thing I can add is that relationship wise, they've 'poisoned the well'.
    There will forever be resentment from others in the shop,
    and the idea that management 'had' to pay you so much to get ya back.

I wouldn't give them any more loyalty & devotion than they showed for you,
    and-- its not too late to keep looking for a better job,
    where your talents are better recognized and appreciated.

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    at some point you have to say being a team player is one thing, neglecting your self or your family is another.
    Its amazing how one minute your part of the "team", and could you make a sacrifice for the "team" when the shop is behind in production. (12 houtr days in over 110 degree heat) Then as soon as things slow down and theres a conflict between the "old' timers and the new guys (myself) they're the first to point out you're at the bottom of the pecking order and dump on you. The minute I hear the word "team" mentioned I start getting some real strong bad vibrations.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Quote Originally Posted by shorerider16 View Post
    . The minute I hear the word "team" mentioned I start getting some real strong bad vibrations.
    True. And another twist on that--
    I got a buddy that when he interviews for a job, and they start talking about how the company is really more like a family than just a business,,,,
    That's his signal to get up & leave.

His experience with them has always been:
    You do ALL the work, and 'Mom & Dad' keep ALL the money.

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

sounds like my family
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post

sounds like my family
    Or "You do all the work and make it look pretty and I'll take the credit, afterall, I approved for you to buy the material"
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Well that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Obviously they don't respect your quality of work. From My experience you never tell anyone how much you make unless you trust them with you life literally and then maybe tell them.
    I've made more then people twice my age and so called experience but it was not that I was so good but that they sucked. You did the right thing by leaving. They would have reduced your pay no matter what. when politics is involved there is little logic used and you can't win.
    And being certified doesn't mean S*#T in my book I can weld better then most cert welders in my area And I'm just a rod burner.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Default what would you do?

Thanks guys for all your input on this, it's just frustrating that when you go to work for a company and they want the best you can do for what your paid and you go another level above that to the point when customers ask for you by name to weld-up there product, which they pay alot of money for the custom work that go's in there trailers instead of the newbie who's not sure or you have to watch them all the time to make sure its done right(not knocking the newbies) but you now what I'm talking about, if customers know your good at your work they will pay extra for it.

And no I don't trash the other company to any body because it always comes back sooner or later, but I do know that since I left they have lost several big customers because of the lack in knowledge,quality,attitude of the customers needs for ther trailers,and because I'm no longer there.

The customers that left have contacted me at different times to see about getting stuff done for them when they are in the area or to come to ther shops and do it for them there, with travel & gas,lodging paid for the time I'm working, which does'nt seem all bad of a deal? but the wife says no travel if they want you to weld it for them then they can pay to have a bigger shop to do it for them(hmm,hmm) just sign the bottom of the check and I'll fill in the rest

DON'T go back ... three reasons ...

First, the supervisor you like, he had problems once, if he has them again you'll probably be out too.

Second, the relationship will never be the same, both with your superiors and with your fellow workers. Many companies, just for this reason, have a "no rehire" policy, once you leave, you're gone for good.

Third, you already know the views of the top management of the company; do you really want to go back to that again?

DO start making yourself known in the community; potential clients, potential employers, make sure people know who you are and what your capabilities are. In a low-key way, don't be pushy. And don't be too "proud" talking to others, the guy sweeping the floors today might be the one owning the company in 5 years, he might even be the one that owns it right now!!

This will help whatever you end up doing, going out on your own or getting a better job. The best jobs always seem to be when an employer calls you, offering you a position, then you can write your own ticket, and you'd be surprised what some employers are willing to do to get an employee they really want. All you have to do afterwards, of course, is produce.

Stay humble, your work ethic will probe itself in the long run. Have you REALLY thought of doing your own business?Figure out the gas, insurance, space/shop rent, etc. don't worry about the liability, sounds like you know how to make trailers already!!! Figure all the cost in, and humbly (not kissing any a**), but inside you are still smirking as you leave and be their competitor...Just say "sorry, I can't afford to work here anymore"
    Good luck, and keep us informed of what happens...
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time