Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy what would you do?

Ok guys here some food for the thinking man,

I was working for a large trailer manuf company in Elkhart,In and when I started was making after tax's,ins,gas, $800-900 net this went on for about 3-4 months then I got called in to the big office and we had a talk about why I was makeing so much more then the other welder in the dept? my responce was that I'm more knowledgable in what I do and can produce better quality on a consistent basis with out been told or shown how to do some thing for the customers and also when a customer comes in and hands me a file of prints for what they want built for there trailer they can walk away and know it will be done to what they want without questions.

So after I said this to the boss's every thing seemed to be fine with all of them BUT my supervisor because he was buddies with the other weld-so called guy and was mad that I made a lot more then him (said I made to much money) and according to him he was (CERTIFIED BY THE STATE AS A CLASS A WELDER) and being the nice guy I am said HORSESH@$% there is no way that you could be certified welder from the state and weld like that(JERK-OFF)

So any way I kept on welding for them until it all went bad and they started to deduct my pay by changeing the bonus system for our rates and yep you got it I started to make less each week until it went down 150-250 a week untill I was making about $600 a week net if I was lucky mean while the other guy got 2-50cent raises in 2 months and I asked my super about this he said I don't think that is true, I said yes it is because I saw his check and your the one who gave it to him so whats up? I ended up leaveing because of this and went back to my other job before hand only making about $500 a week and getting payed every two weeks instead, now we are struggling just make ends meet and my wife is always on me about why didn't you just keep your mouth shut and you would still be making $800-900 a week.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS CASE? WOULD YOU LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB IN THE MEAN TIME? And also I'm doing welding on the side at home to help make up the difference and doing better to the point were I'm making more then at work now so I suppose it's working for the better,but its still the piont if you have an experianced welder I think you should try to keep good help instead of some one thats not as knowlegable or you have to babbysit all the time when working.
    Last edited by safetydave; 02-10-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

My answers to the boss would have been:

1) Rework is more expensive than doing the job right the first time. My work doesn't require as much rework.

2) Can we reflect upon the party that decided to pay me this much, and get their reasoning for it?

3) If he's as good as I am, why isn't he making as much as I am?

4) If you want to pay me what you pay him, expect the same work you get out of him. Fair is fair.

Well said Engloid. That would make a good approach for the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post

1) Rework is more expensive than doing the job right the first time. My work doesn't require as much rework.

2) Can we reflect upon the party that decided to pay me this much, and get their reasoning for it?

4) If you want to pay me what you pay him, expect the same work you get out of him. Fair is fair.
    HI are you doing engloid these days? the guy that hired me ended up getting fired becuase he was missing days and got involved with a women who was a drug addict to meth and spent more time chaseing her then at work and then they hired this shot piss head of a suppervisor that didn' know much about welding other then he had a piont to prove that he didn't want some one else making more money then him.
    Last edited by safetydave; 02-10-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Default what would you do?

I want you guys to keep in mind I was trying very hard while all this was going on to be as calm as I could and not spout of at the mouth but I find it hard to do when I see these companys that put an add in the local papper help wanted experianced welders then when you do go for the interveiw they really don't want some one that knows what they are doiong and talking about when it comes to welding instead they want some freah guy that doesn't really know the trade and what you should be getting payed for and then only want to pay them $8-10hr and think they are getting this great welder only to find out they have to sit there and show them how to do every thing instead of haveing some body that doe's know how to welding and read blue prints and set-up... so do you see why I get so hot over stuff like this? or am I just a hot head welder lokking for a gripe

wile i agree 100% with Engloid's post it covers it well except it left out one key point that should have been stressed if i understand it correctly.

bonus system
    this shows why you are making more $$. clearly you are doing more or better work to get more bonus $$. as well you should. it shows you are earning the higher pay not just expecting it. if the other fella was producing same as you he too would be getting the extra $ and be happy. it sounds like he is unhappy because he cant keep up so he cant bring home the $ you do.

unfortunately too many company's still have the $$ for me first and or the buddy system. hard to fight that. i think i would put more effort into the home work to cover the $$ difference and maybe start building some trailers at home. who knows by this time next year you could be the trailer company to come to instead of the one you left.

good luck, hope all works out, it sucks to get lumped into a flock of turkeys when you are an eagle. sore away, don't descend to them.

it would be very satisfying to have the super come to you looking for work when the other shop crashes. 8^))
    Last edited by fun4now; 02-10-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Hey Dave.Unfortunately stuff like this happens all the time.....nothing you can do but go with the program or do like you did and move on. As for the why didnt you keep your mouth shut part.........it wouldn't have mattered someone had a &%$#up thier butt and what happened is what was gonna happen............Nothing you can do when jealousy and favoritism rears it's ugly head. Good luck finding another job.I've been there and it sux.
    Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Dave, is this the same a supervisor that burned his arm, you were telling us about?

Default what would u do?

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post

Hi engloid and yes I did ask these questions and the guy that runs this company said to me that he has to go by what the super says, even though when we do our rate sheets for the week I make a copy of what I weld so that it matchs up with what the list of trailers are for each production run just incase there might be any ? as to who and what was welded & it clearly shows how much was built & how much money wise I have lost over a period of time untill I left. The production boss knew what my qualifications were that is why they called me to come back to work for them because they didn't have any one that could do the job to the standards they wanted.

Default what would u do?

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    wile i agree 100% with Engloid's post it covers it well except it left out one key point that should have been stressed if i understand it correctly.

bonus system
    this shows why you are making more $$. clearly you are doing more or better work to get more bonus $$. as well you should. it shows you are earning the higher pay not just expecting it. if the other fella was producing same as you he too would be getting the extra $ and be happy. it sounds like he is unhappy because he cant keep up so he cant bring home the $ you do.

unfortunately too many company's still have the $$ for me first and or the buddy system. hard to fight that. i think i would put more effort into the home work to cover the $$ difference and maybe start building some trailers at home. who knows by this time next year you could be the trailer company to come to instead of the one you left.

good luck, hope all works out, it sucks to get lumped into a flock of turkeys when you are an eagle. sore away, don't descend to them.

it would be very satisfying to have the super come to you looking for work when the other shop crashes. 8^))
    Thanks for the opinion on this matter and yes it does suck when your trying to make a good living at what you do and the guy next to you is slow or not up to the same level of experiance and then wants the same amoount of money that your getting because you know how to do your job right the first time without haveing been told and showen how to do it. As for the job search I was all ready going back to a previous job that was closer to home but not the same amount of money, this is why I'm doing side work to make up the difference.