Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steel finishing

Default Steel finishing

Hey folks,

I'm working on some indoor coffee tables and want to give them a gunmetal/burnished look without having to dip them into a bunch of crazy hot chemicals or spray paint -- I like the look of hotrolled steel but after I grind out the junctions there's the shiny bare matel next to the dark mill scale. Any ideas? The best I've found is:
    http://www.metallicfinishes.com/
    I'm working out of my garage and I'd like to keep it simple . . .

Thanks --

oxy fuel rosebud, heat until bright red for a minute or so and let cool.

there was another place posted in my to paint or not to paint posting. i'll see if i can find it for you.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I have misted some bare metal projects with a rattle can of flat black paint and when dry, lightly by hand go over with a scuff pad and then clear coat. The paint tones down the shiny areas and has a nice raw metal effect. Home Depot sells Minwax urethane clear spray cans that have UV protecters.
    Sprays easily, dries fast.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I sprayed some salt water on it and it's sitting outside . . . maybe in a few days it'll get less shiny . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jtn View Post
    I sprayed some salt water on it and it's sitting outside . . . maybe in a few days it'll get less shiny . . .
    It will soon be a nice Rust color If this is what you want it can be a nice finish- just clear coat it.

If you don't have an O/A set up like Laiky's suggestion you can use a Mapp Torch, which can purchased at any Box Store or Local hardware store

You can use cold blue for guns. It makes a nice blue finish. Wax it with Johnson paste wax in the yellow can and forget it.
    David