Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welding F-150 Frame

I have a 1995 F-150 up in Connecticut, Its about done and will take a ride to the scrap yard in a year or so. These trucks rust good up here with all the salt and chemicals used for ice. I welded so repairs to the frame in one spot to get one more year out of it. I know welding on newer cars/trucks is not such a good idea, however I would like to keep the truck for another year. This is a weekend dump/local mover. Great truck just have had to replace so much stuff on the underside over the last few years from rust. The frame is solid its just everything attached to it isn't. Any special advice?

after you get done repairing it why not have it coated with some spray on bed lier or brush it on there is a brush on bed liner my friends showed me some when they was fixin up their 4x4

on most fords, the important stuff like leaf spring hangers are riveted on, these parts are available, or make your own, its much cheaper, truck frames are easier than car frames to repair, they are usually straight, with few curves, i always stock an assortment of 1/8" mild steel strips, 2,3,4,5,6 inch strips, these seem to save time and 1/8' is all that is needed to weld up a rusty 1/2 or mayby 3/4 quarter ton frame, just be carefull, plastic fuel tank

Speaking of bedliner...I have a buddy that bought an old beater truck (V8, straight stick, 4 X 4, manual hubs, manual windows no electric door locks or anything, etc., but it DOES have an AM-FM radio) that was actually in pretty decent shape mechanically other than the paint being mostly gone and having a few (mostly cosmetic type) dents here and there. He was mulling over doing paint or not...BUT, just decided to sort of pound the dents out and then do the ENTIRE truck in bedliner and I DO mean ENTIRE...bed, inside, outside, interior (Mostly removed before spraying), top, bottom...I MEAN EVERY PART OF IT!!. Boy....was it ever nice looking and tough...kind of like in a cute little baby rhinocerous sort of way. Anyway, that was about 5 years ago and it is still gloing strong, still ugly as ****, but he never ever takes the key out of it and it has never been stolen or had anything taken out of it. I think that most people are kind of afraid to get too close to it, so NO ONE bothers it! I've seen people even start to park next to it and change their minds and go somewhere else to park. He NEVER gets door dings (and I don't think you COULD ding it) and people kind of like avoid it in traffic, so he never has to worry about who might be trying to run into him while gabbing on the cell, putting on make-up or swatting at the kids!!!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Cool idea, but that truck must weigh about 10,000 pounds, lol. I've seen a lot of guys do their rockers to protect from stones and such, looks really nice.

Default welding f 150 frame

Part of why I like the truck is I don't give any concern for nicks dings or much else. If I want to weld a bar across the bed to lift, pull, tug or drag something no worry.
    I does seem to slow the BMWs from cutting you off with sharp blades of rust flapping in the wind. Just won't do one of those cheer leader car washes, don't carry band aides in the glove box.