Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Welding table project.

Hi all, before I start, I'm sure you get many similar ď Student making such and such thatís welding related, for a school project and wants to questionnaire some peopleĒ, so I donít mind if I have few replies because they are all valuable.
    I am currently a student doing my a-levels and am taking design and technology. For my final year project I have chosen the theme of welding and more specifically jigs and fixtures for welding. I am to design and build a heavy duty table which can be height adjustable and that must have some kind of modular clamping system that used hole or slots in the table surface, (similar to the strong hand build pro table in the US or like the clamping surface on a milling machine). I have facility to have the surcease laser cut from up to 25mm steel plate so the heavy duty part ainít a problem.
    I would like to ask a few questions to help me gather some more detail on what experienced welders and fabricators would want from a table like I have described, it would be much appreciated if you could answer some or all of my questions:
    • Do you weld as a hobby or do you weld at a professional level or both?

• How large is the workshop you currently weld in?

• Do you currently own a heavy duty welding table? If yes did you buy it or build it yourself and does it have any facility for modular fixturing?

• Would you use the table for welding only and have a separate general purpose bench or would you use the table for general use as well as welding on?

• what kind of welding do you do the most? (MIG, TIG, arc, oxy)

• if the table had some kind of storage facility what would you preferably store in it? (Welding consumables, Grinding consumables, Hand tools, Power tools, ect)

• Do you have any problems or frustrations with wires and gas lines getting tangled around where you weld.

• Do you think a table which includes features for modular fixturing would increase your productivity over making separate jigs for every weldment?

• The table will be adjustable in height. I have a selected a few ways that I could use to make the table height adjustable; Manual lift and pin(like a crutch), Rack and pinion with a locking clamp(like a drill press), screw legs(like adjustable feet), scissor screw(like a scissor lift with a screw) or hydraulic with 4 hydraulic cylinders. Which do you think would be most suitable for my application? Or do you have another suggestion.

• Would you prefer to have the table totally static or have castor wheels to make it movable?

• Are there any features or point that you want to add?
    Please feel free to constructively criticize my questions and thanks a lot in advance for your time. Any answers are much appreciated.
    Twigster.

Default C-

I'm giving your first post a C-

The search feature to this site would have yielded many threads to custom tables..
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Thanks for the reply Pass-N-Gas. Im sure its my computer, i dont seem to be able to get any results from the serch feature for any serch perameters. I have read several build threads from other members who have built similar tables and they have been useful for me in gathering ideas, but for me the purpose of this thread is more to gather some information about the sort of person who may be interested in purchasing such table and what sort of features they would like to see from it, rather than being directly fed ideas. its called the market reaserch element of my project. It will later help me design my table to suit the needs of target market, ie you.

Thanks.
    Twigster

Quote Originally Posted by twigster View Post
    Thanks for the reply Pass-N-Gas. Im sure its my computer, i dont seem to be able to get any results from the serch feature for any serch perameters. I have read several build threads from other members who have built similar tables and they have been useful for me in gathering ideas, but for me the purpose of this thread is more to gather some information about the sort of person who may be interested in purchasing such table and what sort of features they would like to see from it, rather than being directly fed ideas. its called the market reaserch element of my project. It will later help me design my table to suit the needs of target market, ie you.

Thanks.
    Twigster
    5 pages of tables...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...earchid=517024
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

Looking at CNC Plasmas

Quote Originally Posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post
    I'm sorry Pass-N-Gas, The search feature just wont work at all for me, not even on the computers at school. When i open the link you supplied it just says no results found. 5 Pages of table related threads, wow, that's a lot and it would be really helpful i could access them i so far i have only seen a few. I know its a lot of effort but please could you post a few of the threads as links separately for me, it would be really helpful when i comes to inspiration.

Thanks A lot.
    Twigster

A search for "welding table" pulls up over 10 pages, Your just gonna have to weed through all of these.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...earchid=517144

Here is one that sounds like you are describing, although way too small for my use.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...=welding+table
    Last edited by fabricator; 09-28-2011 at 04:44 AM.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

When i open the link you supplied it just says no results found.
    Same thing happens here...... no pics.
    And it is not my computer at fault.
    The poster failed in his effort to link the pics in my view.
    pg
    Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
    Coolmate 3
    MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
    Victor O/A Rig
    Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
    10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
    Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
    Baldor 10 inch Buffer
    Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
    Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
    Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
    Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
    Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post

No worky- you get a C-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    No worky- you get a C-
    It worked after it was posted, If your not logged in you can not do a search.. One of fabricators links is not working now as well
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

Looking at CNC Plasmas

• Do you weld as a hobby or do you weld at a professional level or both?

Both
    • How large is the workshop you currently weld in?

28' x 20'
    • Do you currently own a heavy duty welding table? If yes did you buy it or build it yourself and does it have any facility for modular fixturing?

Yes. Built it myself. No fixturing, just room for clamping around the edge
    • Would you use the table for welding only and have a separate general purpose bench or would you use the table for general use as well as welding on?

I use it for lots of stuff, not enough room to dedicate it to welding only.
    • what kind of welding do you do the most? (MIG, TIG, arc, oxy)

MIG and TIG at home/hobby Stick at work
    • if the table had some kind of storage facility what would you preferably store in it? (Welding consumables, Grinding consumables, Hand tools, Power tools, ect)

All the above
    • Do you have any problems or frustrations with wires and gas lines getting tangled around where you weld.

Doesn't everyone!
    • Do you think a table which includes features for modular fixturing would increase your productivity over making separate jigs for every weldment?

Probably not for what I do, as all my stuff is one-offs
    • The table will be adjustable in height. I have a selected a few ways that I could use to make the table height adjustable; Manual lift and pin(like a crutch), Rack and pinion with a locking clamp(like a drill press), screw legs(like adjustable feet), scissor screw(like a scissor lift with a screw) or hydraulic with 4 hydraulic cylinders. Which do you think would be most suitable for my application? Or do you have another suggestion.

Generally I don't see a need for an adjustable height.
    Your table will be too heavy for idea #1. Hydraulic would be too costly.
    • Would you prefer to have the table totally static or have castor wheels to make it movable?

Moveable with locking wheels
    • Are there any features or point that you want to add?
    Please feel free to constructively criticize my questions and thanks a lot in advance for your time. Any answers are much appreciated.
    Twigster.
    That's all for now
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..