Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ? need advice

Hybrid View

Default ? need advice

can anyone tell me how big of a generator i need for my MM211 on 120v and 220v need to do some work in the fields thank ya much will check back later need to go to work now thanks again will check back later
    mm211/spoolmate 100
    grinders
    drills
    clamps
    vise
    auto darking helmet
    2002 dodge2500 diesel
    dewalt chop saw
    GENERAC XG 8000/10000

Hey Cummings,
    For a minimum, I would suggest at least a 7.5kw(running) unit & preferably a bit more if your budget allows it. My older unit(blue one) was 7.5kw that finally gave out & I replaced it with an 8kw(running)/10kw(surge). Also, a brushless unit delivers a much smoother output. My unit powers everything on my mobile unit with ease as the heaviest load needed is the plasma cutter at 30A & the welding units draw 24A or less. Here's some pics.....

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Hey Denny, do you mind if I ask what that set you back? I was at Lowes the other day and saw one of those but there was no price tag on it. I really like to looks of that machine and it would take care of my needs for portable power for the house as well as the shop.

Hey mx842,
    I got this one at a Lowes near the jobsite I was at when my old one quit. The price was $1349 & they gave me a "senior" discount that paid the tax......I liked that. Bear in mind that there is another Generac unit, the XP8000, that has an additional filtering circuit in it for delicate electronics & has a 12kw surge. You need to decide if it will be necessary as the price jumps to $2049. BTW, my unit is the "E" unit w/electric start.

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Thanks, I figured it would be somewhere near that price. I have been looking at different models and brands and I like the portable idea but when the price gets up around 2 grand I may just go with a standby whole house unit. For around $2500 I can get a 10kw/200amp, 12 circuit unit with start switch/wiring and control. I don't like the propane idea though and may just opt out and get the unit you have and forget about it. From what I have heard they are very good gennys.

I have a question also about generator power. I have a 7kw running / 12kw (I believe) surge, I am trying to figure out if it can run my Miller Spectrum 1251. It requires at least 208v / 3 phase. If not I guess I will have to get an electrician to see if I can get a 3 phase drop to my place $$$$$.