Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello Every one

Red face Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by junk man
    I have twenty years welding experience.
    Sorry about that! I was one of them that assumed you were a little green *LOL* I'll try to read a little slower the next time and not jump off the wagon so quick.
    Regards, Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Default Hello and welcome Junkman

yes on the first half of the ? on the 2nd half no I havent not that thick I think if were me the stick welder would be my choice just for the reason of the up and down forces with the push pull forces but thats just me good luck let us know how it comes out and agian welcome hope to see your pics.
    garthswelding@aol.com trail blazer 301g with all the fixins:delta band saw dewalt chop saw craftsman drill press, sp-135 mm251 spectrum 375 suite case mig, tig w/hi freq. one welding truck.

Quote Originally Posted by junk man
    I have twenty years welding experience. I have been certified pressure vessel and have worked for a dump body manufacture. My question was if any had done this before with the Hobart 175. Last year I made a log splitter( 20 ton ) with the hobart 175. The base of the splitter is a 8 inch piece of heavy channel. Between me and a buddy of mine we bent that splitting a huge but end of a maple tree. No weld failures. I used .035 duel shield cor wire.

Hobart 175
    oxy/acet
    craftsman140/240
    dewalt porta band
    I have to ask - you're a welder (?) with twenty years experience (??), and here you are asking a forum of mostly novice welders for advice on welding a trailer hitch? Am I missing something?

There is a simple answer here - if you don't know the weld is going to do what is expected - don't do it.

Steve

Default me too

Quote Originally Posted by sjmiller
    I have to ask - you're a welder (?) with twenty years experience (??), and here you are asking a forum of mostly novice welders for advice on welding a trailer hitch? Am I missing something?

There is a simple answer here - if you don't know the weld is going to do what is expected - don't do it.

Steve
    Steve, I was thinking along the same line as you..but there are weldors in here that have tremendous knowledge when it comes to welding but again I'm thinking like you"why is he asking us with all the experience he has."

Default Just wanted some feedback

I guess I was just woundering if anyone had done this before. It seems like one day that little hobart could weld up 3/8 to 3/8 no problem. The next day it has trouble burning into 1/4". Welder is fine I think its the power grid I live on. Just wanted some advice. Most of my expirence is with tig. Like they say The day you think you know everything is the day you learn you dont. Any ways I torched of the old reciever tube and welded a new one on. Stick welded it with 7018.

Hobart 175
    Craftman 240/140 buzz box
    oxy/acet.
    dewalt porta band

Default I understand

junkman, I understand what you're saying. ...
    have a great week, Farrris

I once made a ball hitch out of a bolt welded to different size washers with an ac stick machine. I was real poor back then. The 175 will work, just make sure you vee out the welds real good for good penetration. Also thin wire needs less heat so that might be something to think about.