Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default first TIG project

Hi everyone,

I finally got round to getting my TIG setup running, and after a while of tinkering and getting used to tigging again, I made my first piece with it this week. it's a smaller version of the last outdoor table I made, to be used as a drinks table or a bench for sitting on.

i got a little bit impatient in the finishing and dressing stage unfortunately, and the areas where the legs join the frame could be a bit tidier (there's some undercut and gouging in the blended areas that i'd have preferred to avoid) but all in all it came out much better than the first table in terms of squareness and dimensional accuracy.

some pics:

Stainless? Or did you brush finish carbon steel, then lacquered it after welding/buffing?

Nice miter joints. I cannot see the welds.

thanks Keith,

it's 38mmx38mmx1.6mm wall thickness 316 stainless square tubing, dimensions 480w x 480l x 450h mm

Dang! That's nice!!

what saw made those cuts?
    '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
    '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
    Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS
    6x6 Enco corner notcher
    Weldsale fixture table 3x5
    Acorn Welding Platen 5x8

the tubing was cut with a standard 6x4 horizontal bandsaw, they are not compound mitres though the top frame is mitered and the legs just butted on below, but i brush finished after blending all the welds to give the compound mitre effect

cheers
    corgan

Being self-taught, I see new techniques every so often that really catch my eye. I had never seen a joint like that. Eventhough yours is just an illusion, I suppose you could make a cut like that with a ubber minimal seam for a TIG weld. I've got the table, fixtures and welder to do a joint like that but not the saw. I'm hopeful I can swing a new Scotchman cold saw before the end of the year.

Your furniture is beautiful. You could sell the sh*t out of those as a poolside set if you built a complimentary lounge chair. Excellent excellent work!
    '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
    '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
    Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS
    6x6 Enco corner notcher
    Weldsale fixture table 3x5
    Acorn Welding Platen 5x8

You can make compound mitres on 4x6, it's acually not that hard. Set the fence to 45 degrees, and put your tubing in a V-block. As long as the back of the V-block is flush with the fence you should be okay.

Also, if you don't have a V-block, I've made due with a piece of angle iron with a piece of flat bar welded to the back. You just have to make sure it's good and straight.

Later,
    Kev

Very Very nice work

Very Nice!
    Could you or would you please post a pic of your finishing tools and material?
    Thanks