Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Inflatable Boat Rail Holder

We do a little fishing in our inflatable boat when on road trips.
    Normally on lakes and rivers. The engine and boat get packed in the back of the four wheel drive and used when ever an opportunity presents itself.
    Trolling lures for hours can be hard on the body if you do not have a rod holder, equally troublesome is where to place your open drink while fishing.
    Typically cup and rod holders are screwed or cut into the boat material which is fine for ali or glass boats but not with air supported boats.
    After a good long look at all the possible fixture points I sat down on my computer and drew up a design.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

After lathing, drilling, folding and sanding it was time for a test fit.
    Very pleased with the result.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Now to attach the rod and cup holder and see if it all works.
    Fantastic.
    I also plan on mounting the fish finder on the rail.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

As always another very cool idea. well done

Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for the kind words mate.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I always start my projects by measuring all the elements involved as accurately as I can and then drawing the main components.
    If people are involved I draw them in as well, this way you can get a sense of the scale and what room you have to work with.
    With this rail holder, placing all the personnel and fishing gear into the drawing allowed me to see if any item was going to clash.
    The big picture is always important.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Default New Product?

Those are so well done, they look like something one would find in an outdoor sporting catalog. You might be on to something if you can make them in larger quantities, or find a company to build them for you to sell to a sporting outfitter supplier. There may be a whole bunch of people with inflatable boats that would like something like that for their rig. Something you might want to look into, especially if you can get your patent rights on the design first. I'm just not sure I would feel real comfortable in one of those small inflatables in one of the lakes or rivers downunder after some of the nature shows I've seen about the bad attitude of your saltwater crocs. They seem like they can get Very Large and Very Aggressive. We have alligators around here, but they usually give people a wide berth if given a chance. I think down there, I would rather have a rigid hull under me with taller gunwales.

Hi Bistineau,
    Thanks for the kind words mate.
    Inflatables have been around a long time, I thought that there would be heaps of products like this one for them. I could not find any so that is why I made my own. International patents cost $200 000.00 here so that would mean I would have to sell a truck load just to cover that cost. If I made them cheap some one would just make them cheaper, until it would not be worth posting them.

You are right, No one in their right mind would go into Croc country in a canoe, kayak or inflatable boat.
    Crocks will attack anything shorter than they are including boats. At night they climb onto your boat if on the water.
    That said crocks live in waters from Rockhampton and above, that is all the top 1/3 of Australia.
    The bottom 2/3 are just fine and there is plenty of good fishing and boating to be had.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Last Thursday evening we even went to the Brisbane Boat Show to see if there were any products for inflatable boats.
    After paying $15.00 for parking and $44.00 to enter the doors there were no such products.
    Bit disappointed but that inspired me to fabricate my own.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it