Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    ...that you wanted to kill yourself. I was pointing out that everyone gets sued when someone is severely injured or dies...If you don't understand what I mean then best of luck to you and I hope you make a million dollars on your design. Problem is you will need 10 mil when the first person is hurt using your design...peace.
    I understand your caution but everything is a risk, sure some things more than
    others but if one wants to design something and sell it I just don't understand all of the fear over being sued. Of course it happens but that is just part of business
    and being an Entrepreneur.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default That is what INS. is for...

...but I don't see him getting that.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I bet if he sells them in stores, ins. will be a mandatory requirement. I'd say if the design is worthy & the price competitive, Go For It.

[QUOTE=Broccoli1;271643]The main problem is that ya keep using that MM thang and what is a TYRE?

From reading other posts on here I think that MM thang stands for Miller Matic, don't it? Heck I gots me a Miller Matic 140 hope to one day upgrade to a MM211. And TYRE probably refers to like TYRE BANKS the fashion model, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    I bet if he sells them in stores, ins. will be a mandatory requirement. I'd say if the design is worthy & the price competitive, Go For It.
    Thanks pro70z28 Your platforms are awesome, I especially loved that you showed them actually in use, rather than just standing not in use.

Problems with some people is that they just get set in their ways, It is easier for them to sit behind their keyboard, concerned by liability and the threat of being sued, rather than actually being helpful because all they are interested in is the negatives.

I bet nobody ever told the wright brothers that their creations may lead them to being sued or worse, killing someone

I also bet on the other end of the scale, would NASA, BOEING etc, have never ever had any incidents in their development???

Hmmm some fastfood for thought there guys.....

Post Some interesting information regarding ramp designs

Did you know that there is engineering methods that can be used to increase safety factors?

If the base of a ramp or platform is at least 1.2 times the height of a ramp then it increases stability, thus making it much less likely to tip over (As you see with circus platforms for elephants)

If the height is 12" (300mm near enough) then your ramp should have a base of at least 14" (360mm) and obviously if you taper the platform height smaller than your footing then it will also increase stability.

Hence the reason why my platforms (at this stage) should be around 12" (300mm) high, 12" (300mm) wide by 17.75" (450mm) long at the top and 13.75" (350mm) wide by 19.7" (500mm) long at the bottom.

Constructing with the taper means that the weight has to travel further past the center of gravity before it can be displaced, and the effort to make the weight travel past the centre of gravity is a lot harder to make happen.

Cool

My buddy made car ramps by the thousands and sold them for 20 some years. Long story short someone "missused" one and got killed. Ins company settled for a million bucks to who ever sued for the loss of life. Building now sits empty and for sale right around the corner from me. His ins company dropped him after the court date so he sold everything for pennies on the dollar...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    My buddy made car ramps by the thousands and sold them for 20 some years. Long story short someone "missused" one and got killed. Ins company settled for a million bucks to who ever sued for the loss of life. Building now sits empty and for sale right around the corner from me. His ins company dropped him after the court date so he sold everything for pennies on the dollar...Bob
    Bob, methinks that the manufacturing of ramps and selling them would be considerably different to the selling of PLANS for someone else to construct the ramps.

Basically, if an architect drew plans for a building design to what you want, and an engineer approved the design, then YOU built it yourself, and omitted parts from teh design, or instead of using steel bolts you used plastic bolts, and then it fell down and killed someone, do you think there would be any chance that any court would allow a law suit from you (the constructor)???

GET REAL PEOPLE!!!!!

Geez, I can go and purchase all the engine parts from my local store to build almost any engine I want, but if I did that and forgot something, or changed it from the engineered design, would they support any breakage claim??? NO!

No offense brother....but I would not get under a car if your welding your ramps with a 110v MM. You can go and buy a set of commercially made ramps on CL for $10-$15 dollars. But, hey! Good Luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    Can't help you out with the ramps but I can with the platforms.

I made them out of angle because I had an abundance of it given to me awhile back.
    (I bolted the wooden parts on with carriage bolts, as I couldn't get welds to hold either)
    That's a really cool idea. This is something I would throw together and use until I have a garage with a lift.

One question though - what do you use to get the car high enough to get the stands under? Can't tell the exact height, but it looks like it would be higher than a typical jack could reach.