Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Anyone have any car ramp designs or plans?

Gday, as the title suggests, Im after some car ramp plans that I can make myself.

Basic ideas are that I want to make the platform section around 350mm high, 300mm wide (across the tyre) and 500mm long (from front of ramp to back) and approximately 1200mm long ramp section which is detachable, so the vehicle would be left on the platform in the air with no ramp.

Just not sure on actual dimensions, stability, materials etc, so any guidance would be much appreciated thanks.

Someone out there in the WWW must have some car ramp plans????

Default I think...

...there are at least two problems that come to mind with your request; one, nobody wants to GIVE you plans worth a pretty penny and two, far fewer want to give you plans for something that could cause you great bodily harm or death if done incorrectly. IMHO
    Search the WWW and find one for sale or maybe free, but stop begging in here...Again, IMHO
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    ...there are at least two problems that come to mind with your request; one, nobody wants to GIVE you plans worth a pretty penny and two, far fewer want to give you plans for something that could cause you great bodily harm or death if done incorrectly. IMHO
    Search the WWW and find one for sale or maybe free, but stop begging in here...Again, IMHO
    Thanks for the reply.

yep already been there and done that, searched the www, cant find anything worth its while, though I did find loads of timber ramps.......
    I am not sure that my MIG or my ARC is setup for welding timber.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    stop begging in here...
    Well the immediate thing that springs to mind is WHY have a welding forum that says to discuss and exchange plans if everyone is worried that some d1ckhead may use their plans to kill emselves??
    FFS if I wanted to kill myself I would use my GUN, or overdose on sleeping pills. Its faster, less painful and more certain from what I hear!

Ok, so I am currently designing up my own ramps and I intend to place them up on here once I am finished them, though that may take some time as I havent been able to do much after I got the DVT blood clots.

We did make a real basic set using gal waterpipe around the time that I was leaving school (25+ years ago) but they are no longer suitable due to cars being much lower nowdays, though altering them would not be an easy thing.

I apologize for just assuming that people still had their own common sense, and people could weld and construct things within their own capabilities...............

Can't help you out with the ramps but I can with the platforms.

I made them out of angle because I had an abundance of it given to me awhile back.
    (I bolted the wooden parts on with carriage bolts, as I couldn't get welds to hold either)

I labeled them RR, LR, RF & LF because they have levelers on the feet so I can level the car, (marks on the floor get them in the same spot each time). That way I can use the scales when needed. Made them so they fit between the 4x4 chocks.

These are a little taller than you maybe are looking for. I built these extra tall to work on the chassis. Are you looking for front ramps only? I use a jack to get mine on the platforms. Pretty easy & safe. Running a car up on platforms with removable ramps could be tricky. I'd try to build the ramps to lock on the platform rather than just slip on. If the 2 separated or slipped as you drove up the ramp, that could be a real, real bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgrassorarse View Post
    Gday, as the title suggests, Im after some car ramp plans that I can make myself.

Basic ideas are that I want to make the platform section around 350mm high, 300mm wide (across the tyre) and 500mm long (from front of ramp to back) and approximately 1200mm long ramp section which is detachable, so the vehicle would be left on the platform in the air with no ramp.

Just not sure on actual dimensions, stability, materials etc, so any guidance would be much appreciated thanks.
    I'm not sure what it will take to build a set. I found these at Harbor Freight. Item # 68365

I have a 91 Camry, and they work great. They seem to have enough capacity for most cars. They are getting $34.99 for them. I usually like to make my own things, but if it costs me more to do so, I'll usually just buy them.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jworman View Post
    I'm not sure what it will take to build a set. I found these at Harbor Freight. Item # 68365

I have a 91 Camry, and they work great. They seem to have enough capacity for most cars. They are getting $34.99 for them. I usually like to make my own things, but if it costs me more to do so, I'll usually just buy them.

Thanks for that but I already knew I could buy ramps like that (google or ebay have plenty) but I really want to make a set again.

Those ramps you mentioned are useless to me except for displaying vehicles really.

What I am looking for is a good quality set that will last me the rest of my life (Hopefully 30+ years) and that I can pass on to my children.

My current set are still fine (construction wise) after 20+ years but they are not really suited to modern vehicles that are lowered.

I think I have now worked out what I am going to do and as I said, I will do a drawing with the dimensions and materials that I use, take some piccies and post it all up here as a plan for those who come here looking for an idea, or at least a place to start, so they are not told that they are begging and that nobody wants to GIVE THEM plans worth a pretty penny and two, or because of liability etc....

This forum is states clearly in it's title:
    Welding Projects
    Whether you want to build it or fix it - share advice, ideas, plans and photos.

So since nobody else wants to do that then I have made the decision to do so, for the benefit of others who simply dont know where to start, or something as a base for what they want to make.

I can tell you at this stage, I have been looking at loads and loads of pics on the internet and I have combined a few styles since I work on a wide variety of vehicles.
    My ramps need to be able to take lowered cars, as well as cars with above average street car tires (basing that on the average 225mm wide tyres) so these ramps will accept streetcars with upto 300mm wide tires.

My ramps are intended to have a removable ramp and will most likely be made from 25mm x 3mm thick galvanised angle iron.

The platforms (at this stage) should be 300mm high, 300mm wide by 450 long at the top and 350mm wide by 500mm long at the bottom and will also have a drop in wheel positioning so the wheel will actually sit down into the top platform approximately 30mm and will also have a 75mm high "anti drive over" bar to stop a vehicle being driven too far past the optimum position, or rolling off backward.

The ramps (at this stage) will be 1200mm long (4' ) and will also be removable so that the vehicle can sit on the "platforms only" and allow ease of access from the sides if needed (similar to the photos that pro70z28 placed up earlier. They will also have a lip to lock them in place with a locking pin running parallel with the ground and through both the ramp and the platform section, thus avoiding the ramp jumping off or spitting out (rare, but it can and does happen).

I can also tell you that after many years auto experience on both commercial scale and hobby scale, there was in no way that I was going to be pinching anyones expensive plans, and after you see MY plan's it might just change the way that people think of automotive ramps in the future

Having now got my base design I am now also considering marketing my ramps (and maybe the pans for them) on a commercial basis.

Default I wasn't suggesting to you...

...that you wanted to kill yourself. I was pointing out that everyone gets sued when someone is severely injured or dies...If you don't understand what I mean then best of luck to you and I hope you make a million dollars on your design. Problem is you will need 10 mil when the first person is hurt using your design...peace.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

The main problem is that ya keep using that MM thang and what is a TYRE?

weez Americans get confoosed too easily.

You have to be a little patient on getting replies- the guy with plans may not be on the Forum that often. heck, when you post up your plans are you going to available to answer the next person who asks about plans a year from now?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus