Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default miller 330 a/bp wiring question

I just got a miller 330 a/bp machine from my workplace auction and now have to hook it up at my house. The guys at work tell me that it was wired for 3phase but everything I read about it says it is a single phase machine. In the power chord coming out of the machine there are four wires one black, green, red, and yellow. Under the back panel the machine is set up for 460v operation with the wires from left to right on the poles are first green (or blue it is too old to have good color left in it) then red, then yellow. The black one seems to run into the machine on the far left to the chassis of the machine. I have 100 amps single phase in my shop and would love to hook this beast up but I dont want to hurt anything. Can someone tell me how to hook it up, and if for some reason if its 3phase come and buy it from me because I cant use it. Thanks.Miller Tig.jpg

Lets see here, they want you to use a minimum primary conductor size of #6.

So 6/3 will suffice at a loaded range of 76 amps single phase.

1 ground to the left side lower, black and white to the other 2. And switch the jumpers to 230 power.

Anything else?

Default Black wire

That is great news, thanks for the reply. There is one wire not pictured though. It is a black wire that was wired into the plug when the machine was at work. This wire runs into the machine bundled with the green, red and yellow wires then splits off and stays to the left against the outer wall of the case, then terminates when it gets to a vertical metal bar that it hooks into. Im sure this is a ground wire, my question is... does this machine need 2 ground wires? if not what do I do with this wire?
    Thanks again.

Download the manual and give it a good read if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by mccauna View Post
    That is great news, thanks for the reply. There is one wire not pictured though. It is a black wire that was wired into the plug when the machine was at work. This wire runs into the machine bundled with the green, red and yellow wires then splits off and stays to the left against the outer wall of the case, then terminates when it gets to a vertical metal bar that it hooks into. Im sure this is a ground wire, my question is... does this machine need 2 ground wires? if not what do I do with this wire?
    Thanks again.
    Ya gor me there, must only be 3 wires, with no extra grounds

Default I have the manual

I have the manual and it says nothing about this wire. Has anyone got one of these that is 3phase, or has been converted? Also what would hapen if I hooked it up the way the manual says with the three wires as if it was single phase 220v and it is actually for some reason a 3phase machine? Would it damage anything or would nothing happen?
    Thanks.

Ahhh, probably NOT a good idea as all of them are single phase

Because it had been in an industrial setting around a lot of other 3 phase equipment
    they likely had a lot of 4 conductor power cable available. You can use 3 conductor cable or use the 4 conductor cable and not use one of the conductors. Normally you would use black and red for the hot wires and green for the ground, but any colors are OK if you hook them up correctly.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Default I feel dumb

Charley you get a prize! I decided to go ahead and hook it up the way the manual said to. I felt pretty confident that black mystery wire was just a precautionary ground to the chassis of the machine put there by my paraniod and misinformed workmates. When I disconnected the three colored wires the black mystery wire fell free from where it was wedged on the side of the machine.
    It even was capped off with black tape. This whole post should have been done after the first reply, thanks cruizer. Anyway I feel dumb and you were all right, nothing new. Thank you very much.