Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Miller syncrowave 180 sd output problem - please help!

I have had my 180 sd for around a year or so. everything worked great until the other day. now when i strike an arc using my foot control in DC it puts out the maximum amperage that the amperage knob is set to. no matter how far or how little i push the pedal it maxes out. so if i set the amps on the welder to 180 it will put out 180 or if i set it to 60 amps it will put out 60-65 amps no matter what. i have checked the potentiometer in the pedal and traced it all the way into the welder to the circuit board. the ohms change with the movement of the pedal properly all the way to the circuit board. now, my question is, what is causing this? is it a bad part on the circuit board or could it be something else? i have already tried two different torches and i got the same result. i only have one foot pedal but i know the potentiometer is working properly. so i am at a loss. i depend on my welder for income so if i dont get this thing up and running in the next day or two i am royally screwed. please help as much as you can, i appreciate any advice you have to offer. if you need more information before taking a stab at it let me know, ill be happy to answer any questons or even take pictures. thanks in advance.

Need the serial#

Recheck the pedal should be 1000 ohms or so from "C" to "D" on the pedal with a variance from zero'ish to 1000 ohms from "C" to "E" and "D" to "E" as the pedal is moved from Min to Max

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Need the serial#

Recheck the pedal should be 1000 ohms or so from "C" to "D" on the pedal with a variance from zero'ish to 1000 ohms from "C" to "E" and "D" to "E" as the pedal is moved from Min to Max
    the serial number is LC493327

yes, the potentiometer has from 0 to 1023 ohms all the way to the circuit board.

Don't care about the machine at this point just double check the 3 wires on the remote itself, just cause 2 wires are reading ok, doesn't mean that the third is there.

It was born on 5/13/2003

Don't care about the machine at this point just double check the 3 wires on the remote itself, just cause 2 wires are reading ok, doesn't mean that the third is there.

It was born on 5/13/2003
    no kidding? 5/13/83 is my birthday! haha, nice.

anyway, i did check all three wires. i believe they all read properly, 0 to 1023 with pedal movement, 1023 to 0 with pedal movement, and then a constant 1023.

also, when i was welding a few days ago i had this problem but then it went away and everything worked fine. now it wont go away at all. so this leads me to believe that whatever is wrong it went bad gradually.

With a volt meter in DC check for 10 Vdc between "C" & "D". Remote not installed. If its not there then yes you have a board issue, if it's there we'll have to get a little deeper.

Unplug and replug RC6 from the control board then retry it.

With a volt meter in DC check for 10 Vdc between "C" & "D". Remote not installed. If its not there then yes you have a board issue, if it's there we'll have to get a little deeper
    i will do this now and return shortly

alright, done. i got 10.01 vdc from c and d. so does that mean its not the board?

i just went out and unplugged everything from the circuit board and plugged it all back in then i tried it and i still get the max output. all the connections are nice and clean, the board is very clean.