Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tank Repair

Default Tank Repair

I am not sure if this is an appropriate posting, but here it is.

I have a fertilizer tank that is about 175,000 gallons that needs a new floor, needs to be sandblasted and painted on the inside. The tank is located in central California. I am looking for a company that will give me a quote and make the necessary repairs.

The welders that I have are good, but not qualified to make such repairs.

If you own a company or know of a company that makes this type of repairs please contact me. If you PM me I will get back to you.

175,000 gallons is about 23,434 cubic feet of water. That is a rather large floor to be replaced.

The metal is going to be very difficult to make a proper joint since fertilizer is hard on the metal. What kind of metal is it anyways? Galvanized, Stainless, ect...

Try calling Paso Robles Tank.
    Their crews, that I've been around, are very good.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Default Tank Repair

Country Metals,

I wish the tank was Stainless Steel, but it is black Iron. You ever wonder why I like SS, especially 416L. This tank was built in 1972 and it might be time to replace it and if so, I HOPE with a stainless steel tank. You are right, FERTILIZERS will eat everything, including stainless steel, given sufficient time.

While its not rocket surgery if I didn't have someone that done it before or wasn't sure of myself I would tend to follow the lead JT gave, watch and learn. Its not technically difficult and could eventually get done with most men with competent journeyman it might be slow going, the right contractor it would be a snack.
    I did a couple back in the day when there were more factories here, not as big as that, a couple K ones though. Perforated is a good word in these cases, put new 2 ft up on insides, floor in one, one I did wall and welded new steel to floor in 6 inches, big ring, then had roofing contractor come in and glue down heavy rubber liner, contact cement to the old floor that I had cleaned and painted, that tank out lasted a new one they built next to it at the same time. I did the paint in 2 sections, when wind was favorable and kept the place clean and brine free, never did rust on outside while mr blast and paint contractors job next to it look like oyster city in 5 yrs. I put several patches on the barrel where it rust out to in, hired a couple jerked off welders from the bar for a few days to weld most of it up.
    Time frame is another matter, its a job that is for the production minded crowd.

Call the Boilermaker office there and they will recommend a contractor who does stuff like that all the time. It's not that uncommon to replace tank floors.

The office # is 909-877-9382