Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Doughboy is right... ...I've never dealt with snowmobiles, they are pretty much useless where I live.(with edit)
    I have 2 sleds and know exactly what you are trying to do! I would look under the trailer for a place to cut a 2" square hole to drop the tube with a stopper ring on it through just in front of the threaded hole that the sled hold down bar cranks into. That is if you have that. Or do what the other post said, U-bolt the reciever to the front frame of the trailer and put a stopper on the winch post.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Doughboy is right, you have way more mounting plate than you need. The portion under the motor doesn't even need to be there, all it's doing is adding weight. That part could be eliminated, and the thickness could also be reduced by at least half. If the winch spool were mounted directly over the 2" tubing, rotational force would not be a factor. You have the whole unit centered on the mount, where as the critical part(cable spool) is hanging off the side when it should be lined up with the tubing. Like he said, post up some pics where we can see what your dealing with and maybe you can get the best answer possible from us on your situation. I've never dealt with snowmobiles, they are pretty much useless where I live.
    Thanks guys....This is what I was looking to hear regarding the force. I am trying to use the scrap I have so that is why I was using the thicker plate. I will cut it smaller and mount the spool over the vertical tube. I will also likely use 2 in tube on the horizontal piece as well and not the hitch pictured.

Unfortunately, my trailer is over an hour away, so I can't easily get you pic's of it. This is similar,3m63pe3o05T65W35U6b8t40d4bc28668f1c11.jpg but mine is a 4 place and much longer. I don't have a good spot to u-bolt to as the tongue jack is in the way, but I don't really mind having it hitch mounted. Makes it easier for me to power from the tow vehicle. I'll try an post updated pictures once I get a little further in the design.

Cheers,
    Mike

Default Can I suggest one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Adapt.../dp/B004DEBBPM
    I don't know if you can make it for $30 or not but I would look into something like that...hope that helps you get the setup you want!
    Last edited by Doughboyracer; 08-29-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Adapt.../dp/B004DEBBPM
    I don't know if you can make it for $30 or not but I would look into something like that...hope that helps you get the setup you want!
    I was thinking of the same thing. It may be tricky, and possibly dangerous, to try and pull something onto a trailer that isn't anchored to the tow vehicle. If the winch can't be attached to the trailer then the next best thing would be a design that allows the trailer to be attached to the hitch while winching a sled up.

For me it would be a cum a long and a strap for the rare occasion I needed it, very portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    For me it would be a cum a long and a strap for the rare occasion I needed it, very portable.
    Maybe for him it's not such a rare occurence to need this. Anyway he already has the winch, now might as well make it usable for what he bought it for.

Quote Originally Posted by FernTJ View Post
    I was thinking of the same thing. It may be tricky, and possibly dangerous, to try and pull something onto a trailer that isn't anchored to the tow vehicle. If the winch can't be attached to the trailer then the next best thing would be a design that allows the trailer to be attached to the hitch while winching a sled up.
    This is what I was looking for...heading out to pick one up tommorow and will post pics once I get it mounted. Thanks for suggesting this.

Maybe for him it's not such a rare occurence to need this. Anyway he already has the winch, now might as well make it usable for what he bought it for.
    Has happened twice in 7 years...not often in my book. I take my wife and 4 kids with when I go and my kids sleds are safe, but older...stuff happens...seen new sleds blow up too. I saw the winch...got the idea...and was looking for good suggestions like to one above. While I appreciate the simplicity of the come a long, chose the winch instead. I have some other uses for it as well, and hence why I am looking for a flexible setup.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...will post the pics soon.