Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Need information regarding Weldability of steel castings

steel castings with 0.25% C max ,Mn 1.2 Max,Tensile strength 75Mpa,Mig or FCAW.Need information regarding preheating, any problems which may occur.etc

Cool

Can't help you with mig or FCG mig but i just did a welding test on 1" thick plates with 7018...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

No problem with any of the two system along with a little pre and post heat.

The only need for preheat is thickness. If you are using any fluid process (GTAW, FCAW, SMAW, GMAW etc), the welds are essentially, castings themselves.

The only difference between steel castings and wrought steel (rolling, forging etc) is a bit of silicon, manganese or other non-deleterious to welding additions. Base metal may have greater fluidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_J View Post
    The only need for preheat is thickness. If you are using any fluid process (GTAW, FCAW, SMAW, GMAW etc), the welds are essentially, castings themselves.

The only difference between steel castings and wrought steel (rolling, forging etc) is a bit of silicon, manganese or other non-deleterious to welding additions. Base metal may have greater fluidity.
    I have to tell you that wrought steel does not really exist. There is wrought iron, which is really rare these days.

And weldments cant really cast themselfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I have to tell you that wrought steel does not really exist.
    Not sure I agree

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I have to tell you that wrought steel does not really exist. There is wrought iron, which is really rare these days.

And weldments cant really cast themselfs.
    Any steel form which is substantially mechanically worked (rolled, forged, drawn or otherwise plastically deformed to attain shape and structure) is termed wrought.

What we know as cast iron is iron with very high carbon content. Very low carbon steels are in fact, iron but are termed steel to differentiate from cast iron parts.

Cast iron is highly fluid from the 3%+ carbon which when the casting solidifies, comes out of solution, forming structures which can be brittle (white and gray cast iron). When this carbon is burned out in the basic oxygen furnace, these brittle structures cannot form. Yes, special treatment of cast iron both in the ladle and post-casting can offset these brittle structures. For example, one structure in gray cast iron is graphite flakes which when treated, turn into spheres that resist fracture.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Not sure I agree
    You should. wrought iron yes. but wrought steel term not really.

Keith J, white cast iron is simply grey cast iron cooled more rapidely, because of this rapid cooling the carbon does not separate from the iron. which result in a cementite composite, very hard and brittle. not really weldable in it's original state.
    white cast iron is widely used on crusher jaws, balls and liners for ball mills and lathe beds.

It is always a good idea to preheat and post heat any cast piece, as usually they have machined surfaces that has to meet some measuring tolerance, by preheating and postheating a welder highly reduce the chance of warping and residual stress, keeping the part welded as close to the original state.