Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 84ZMike View Post
    John I use a Victor with checks on the torch and flash backs at the regs....the reason I like flashbacks at the reg is what if a hose gets cut....the gas will burn....I sure don't want it getting into that 2000 psi oxy cylinder
    Ever heard of the fire triangle Mike? How much fuel is inside that 2000psi Oxygen cylinder? Dee dee dee
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Ever heard of the fire triangle Mike? How much fuel is inside that 2000psi Oxygen cylinder? Dee dee dee
    So you searched my post and this is the best you could do........ and if you could read you would see that I use checks at the torch....and flash backs on the regs....so unless you turn the torch loose on the regs the fire isn't getting into the tanks......keep on searching and hopefully you will find something you can twist around to help your ego ....dumb a$$
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

See, right there you proved you don't understand the simplest of fire principles. You need fuel AND oxygen to have a fire.

1)Inside your little O2 tank has a specific lack of fuel.

2)Inside your Acetylene tank, there's a very big lack of O2.

Now please explain why you have arrestors on your regulators?

Even if you took a hatchet and chopped both hoses and lit the end, you still wouldn't have any more flame than you did at the end of your torch besides some burning rubber. It's not like the fire is going to go shooting up the hose (see 1&2 above).

Now if you went cutting into your O2 tank, you might raise the temp high enough to burn the cylinder itself as fuel, but those arrestors wouldn't do you much good at that point.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Correct as long as there is pressure in the tank the fire will stay on the out side burning at the rate the regs let it.....the problem is I like to run my tanks empty before I swap them....(not acetylene as I run LP)....so if I was to cut a hose and the tank was on it's last drop well not a good thing......so if you only use flashbacks at the torch then you run the risk of fire burning back to the reg. then that 2000 psi will be burning as well as propelling your tank....hopeful for the rest of us you will be the only one injured
    HH210 with SG

So let me get this straight -

You run your tank empty, and when empty the flame might finally burn back into the tank (where there is no fuel, and your O2 on its own will not burn itself) and this is going to make a BOOM how?

Same thing with your LP. Your tank burns down to 0psi and is now empty enough to swap out. Somewhere along the line this still has enough oxygen INSIDE the tank (how did the O2 get in there?) to go BOOM when it no longer has any psi...

Neither situation works.

You're a genius.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

OK then you take an lp tank run it down very low (5psi) open the valve and light it.....stand there and call me when the flame goes out.....it will burn into the tank and yes it will go boom............so explain to me what you use and why......so that we can all learn.....I'm not saying my way is the best / only way to do it but I feel better with my set up and it works just fine for me.
    HH210 with SG

I think where the most prevalent danger is, when you shut the torches down and you have a small leak somewhere along the line. The gas in you're system will try to equalize with the outside atmosphere and at some point you can end up with a volatile mix in the system. You could get flammable gas exiting a leak on the flammable side and entering a leak on the oxygen side in its attempt to equalize and therefore both sides could become volatile.One place this can happen is at the torch valves, if both are faulty. The safety valves will help contain a hazardous situation to to the area between the safety valves. In other words, the gages,hoses, and torch are all separated.
    I don't believe it is recommended to use safety valves at the regulator and torch just so they can sell unnecessary equipment.
    It is true though that the tank itself can't burn internally without fuel and oxygen and since they are always under pressure, the volatile mix would have to be present when the tank is filled.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Uhmmmmmm, I wouldn't argue with fishy. He can make a bandsaw out of old volkswagon wheels in his parents basement (or he's at least a couple of years into the process) so it is pretty obvious that his intellect is far superior than anyone here.

Better watchout, he'll get ya banned!!!!

So FJ,
    are you saying that there is no need for flashback arresters?
    That's kind of what it sounds like.

As for me, but I'm a dumb hack so don't take me too serious, I do have arresters at the regulators and the torch..
    Better safe than sorry, I enjoy life with all my body parts
    Jeff