Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Flashback arrestors, what to use.

Hi and thanks for taking the time...

I don't do too much torch work, but I do have a portable set that really comes in handy. I have often thought to add flashback arrestors or backflow valves. I assume the arrestors at the torch handle would add the greatest margin of safety but may be clumsy with the added couple inches to the overall torch length, especially when the idea is to have a small compact torch. Are the regulator mounted ones adequate?

I do try to practice safe handling, lighting, purging but because I do not use the set often I always need to check back for correct pressure settings etc. and I think the extra safety would be smart.

Can you guys with the hands on experience let me know what makes the most practical sense for my limited use.

Learning something new here everyday.

Thanks

John

John I use a Victor with checks on the torch and flash backs at the regs....the reason I like flashbacks at the reg is what if a hose gets cut....the gas will burn....I sure don't want it getting into that 2000 psi oxy cylinder
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Same hear, all of our torches at school have arrestors on the regs and the the torches. Gives you some peace of mind when numbnuts is "learning" how to use the torch.

They are a little bit more awkward to have on the torch handle, but I don't notice a huge difference. Using a smaller hose for the last few feet near the torch handle would make a much more noticable difference/improvement, and wouldn't compromise safety.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Default numbnuts...

Haha sometimes I feel like numbnuts when I have to dust off the torch after maybe a year. Like anything else that you use daily it becomes second nature; when you don't do it, you need to think each step through. When safety is envolved but to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your input. Not sure I understand though. Use an arrestor on both the torch and regulator or check valve at torch and arrestor at regulator? Also, does the torch respond differently, meaning require different fuel reg & O2 settings?

Lastly, Shorerider, couldn't help but notice your radical mountain bike picture. Since your a senior member I'm guessing your not 16. I'm a 47yo general contractor and I love my mountain bikes ever fab any parts or frames?

Thanks,

John

Do they require pressure adjustment?

You can have flash backs at both the torch and the regs.....that to me is overkill....to each his own.....I use check valves at the torch....gas goes one way only.....and the flash backs at the regs in case I cut a hose or get a fire in them.....it will stop at the regs....if you only have flash backs at the torch and you cut a hose....well I hope you see it and turn the tank off or run like ****......
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Default flashbacks

put on both the gauge and the torch...i have seen one time and i have no idea what caused it to act that way but a hose blow after a back fire in a shop that caused an acc hose to pop a hole at almost exactly 12 inch spaces from the torch to the bottles ( a hundred foot hose)
    luckily there were flash backs at the gauges...that ruined a hose and the boss made new rules!...i dont think it could (or should) be called overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Handy560 View Post
    Haha sometimes I feel like numbnuts when I have to dust off the torch after maybe a year. Like anything else that you use daily it becomes second nature; when you don't do it, you need to think each step through. When safety is envolved but to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your input. Not sure I understand though. Use an arrestor on both the torch and regulator or check valve at torch and arrestor at regulator? Also, does the torch respond differently, meaning require different fuel reg & O2 settings?

Lastly, Shorerider, couldn't help but notice your radical mountain bike picture. Since your a senior member I'm guessing your not 16. I'm a 47yo general contractor and I love my mountain bikes ever fab any parts or frames?

Thanks,

John
    On any of the torches I have used the regulator settings have always been the same with flashback arrestors as without. I think the others have described pretty well why this is a good idea.

Actually I'll be 18 in a couple of weeks, but you can never be too young or old to ride. I have been riding for around 5 years now, and am as addicted as ever. Summers are basically work all week, and ride all weekend. I've never actaully built anything for any of my bikes yet, althought if I had access to the the heat treating facitilties I think it would be pretty sweet to build a custom frame. Once I get a few more tools, (power of course) I've got a few ideas, but as par usual I've got more ideas than money.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Default flashback arrestors

I've always used them at the regulator. One thing i never do is pull more hose than needed so it wont be gathered up at my feet waiting for me to do something stupid. One thing I did with my bike was to add a 100 watt hallogen driving light to the handle bars. I powered it with 12 sub c rechargable batteries and a momentary contact swich to turn it on.
    It only gave about 20 minutes of run time but if used spairingly it was awsome. Riding on the sidewalk at night cars would flash high beams.

Default Wow!

Wow! Those arrestors are expensive... of course not as bad as blowing a hole in the side of my house, but I was supprised at the cost relative to say a nice torch set...