Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default moisture+equipment

I got home today and went out to the shop,well the garage. It has been raining all day, temp. about 55. The ground had been frozen but the storm front brought higher temps. and rain.
    Everything was cavered with condensation, table, welders, lights.....

My question is will this hurt my equipment internally? I know it is not good for it, I started a fire in the wood stove to help dry things out. I did not turn anything on for fear of bad things.

The new shop should be done in a couple months but til then?

Thanks to all.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

I don't think one time will cause much damage, I had the same here in NE Ohio yesterday and today. I didn't even open the door so the moist warm air wouldn't condensate on the welders. Checked tonight and things were dry thankfully.
    David

Default Moisture

Ok Guy one time advice...........go and get the blue tubes they sell at a welding supply ...........I.E. Miller dealer.........keep your rods and fillet rods in them...........if ya gotta buy 20 buy 20 of them .........each type of raod for each container........they usually hold 10- lbs. and tig rods 5 lbs............AKA>>>>>>>>>>>DON'T EVER WORRY ABOUT THEM BEING DAMP/WET..... I DO THIS WITH MY MOBILE UNIT THAT'S OUTSIDE 24/7...........DRYER THEM A POPCORN FART..........

Tonight much dryer. Thanks stronics, you seem to have the same conditions. I worry about moisture damage. The tig is my most concern, but all of my equipment has been hard earned.
    The new shop can not get done quick enough, but I need dry or frozen ground to finish it. I know be patient.

Thank you Tom C. I do need to keep my filler dry, I do not do much SMAW but I have alot of rod. I have thought about an ammo can with a desicant bag inside.

The moisture was on anything metal, I try to take care of my stuff, I do beat it when needed but I don't want it to be damaged by moisture inside.

I can wait till tomarrow to fire things up (thank god) I should still be on time, just a small job this time but I don't want to be late.

Thanks again.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Cool

I have the same problem here, NE Ohio also. It looks like someone used a firehose in my shop. I sprayed everything i wanted to keep shiney with WD40 and its still perfect and everything else is rusty. It sucks big time...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Moisture...............

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    Everything was cavered with condensation, table, welders, lights.....
    This occurs when the temperature of the items is below the dew point of the air. Remember if it is happening on the outside, it is also happening on the inside of your equipment. This is not a problem for items that are designed to work under water. However, for ALL other equipment it is a problem. Fortunately, all you have to do to get the moisture to re-absorb into the air is heat the air in your shop. The warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold and it will wick the water from your stuff like a sponge. If you heat the air without "stirring" it, the inside dries at the same rate as the outside. Also, a convenient way to protect your rods is by putting them an old refrigerator with a light bulb burning.

I hope this helps,
    Last edited by triggerman; 02-07-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

while i would rather wait for a machine to dry before using it, modern welders can take alot. the Lin Elec units on our boom lifts are outside in the rain and snow day and night and never miss a beat. Same goes for Miller CMTs that Ive seen get real wet and snowy and never fail. Ive been on sites where the four packs sit outside for a year on end. also we run engine drives when its so icy that the choke freezes and we have to pop the top and tweak it by hand. Im sure moisture is bad, but I have defiantly seen miller machines take a savage amount of weather abuse and keep kicking.

to comment on the fella above that mentioned using the rod containers to keep moisture out.. i had a good idea brought to me by my LWS .. and in the middle of enacting it

he said to take a small fridge (or large) that doesnt work anymore... gut it (safley) leaving only the box and the insulation.. (ie: remove condensor, compressor etc etc).. and wire in a socket to hold a 60W incondesant.. (or less depending on the size of the fridge) use flashing or some type of reflective material to insulate the plastic closest to the lamp (hottest) and store all your rods in there.. you could go one step farther and install a thermometer and a dimmer switch so you could throttle down the bulb and moniter the heat..

the goal is that the insulation (and the fact that the fridge seals up well) will withhold the heat generated from the bulb, and keep the rods warm, and since its radiant heat, should drive out or eliminate moisture within the box...

got the fridge,, still working on the mount/fixture and dimmerswitch/thermo .. this will be perfect for someone like myself that buys 5lbs of rod at a time and seldem reaches for it.. keeps them dry and fresh ready for use.. and cheeper to operate then a full size/official rod oven/keeper.

i know this may not help with your shop but may keep your rods nice..

p.s. spend some money on a dehumidifier,,, and let it run constantly.. regardless of weather.. cheep insurance especially if moisture has been a problem in the past!

also.. do a quick inspection of the shop to see where the construction may not be as tight or sealed up and attempt to repair it.. that will help to...
    Last edited by shott8283; 02-07-2008 at 08:12 PM.