Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welding trailer

Default Welding trailer

Hello Ladies and Gents, My drafting skills are limited so go easy on me...lol. I am tired of working out of my truck so I want to build a welding trailer based off of a service box idea from a truck.I want to build it from scratch just to get the satifaction to know I did it. I would like to get as many opinions on building one as I want to try and get every aspect of it to suit perfectly the first time without having it finished and wishing that I would have done things different. I welcome any and all comments, thanks. John B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Air compressor?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Air Compressor

I have gas powered air compressor in bed of trail crossways between welder and front of trailer and as a backup in the colder weather I am getting a compressor installed under the hood of my truck as well if all else fails.Thanks for your comments, keep the comments coming.

If taking this on the road I would be nervous about the placement of the tanks being so low to the ground and exposed in the back.

Looks like a cool project.

Looks like a pretty efficient design.

The cable reels off the back look different from what I've seen before. Usually they are inside of the trailer. Might be a good idea, just not sure.

The bottles being low are good for changing them out as long as they are protected as Brian said. You will have to check but I think oxygen and acetylene bottles have to be separated by steel plate.

Do some calculations on weight distribution and plan axle locations accordingly. 12' span on the material rack might need to be considered. May need some support along the length for transporting lighter whippy materials.

Material list looks like it'll be plenty strong.

I'm looking forward to seeing it as you get it done.

Al
    Miller Dialarc 250 HF
    Lincoln Classic 300D
    AutoCAD 2010...Paper Is Cheaper Than Metal
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Milwaukee & Hilti Power Tools
    John Deere Equipment
    Paints and Quarterhorses
    Billy Cook Roping Saddle
    Billy Cook Reining Saddle
    Our YouTube Channel

You might want to consider a fold down or slide out work table from the side or back. Mount some electrical outlets near the work table so extension cords aren't needed at the table. Some places with 2" reciever hitch tubing installed to mount a vise, bench grinder, chop saw etc, so they can be changed out to suit job requirements. A few places to mount some lights may come in handy in case you end up having to work after dark.
    Go to Weldingweb.com and look under "Welding Projects & Pictures", there is a thread there titled "Let's see the welding rigs". There are over 500 replies to look over. Most are truck rigs but I'm sure you can get a BUNCH of ideas for your project there. If you only use half of the ideas from that thread you will need to seriously scale up this trailer.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 08-16-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Default tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Oatway View Post
    If taking this on the road I would be nervous about the placement of the tanks being so low to the ground and exposed in the back.

Looks like a cool project.

I checked into laying the tanks at around a 20 degree angle to lower overall height but I asked some other local welders and they told me that the MTO (ONTARIO,CANADA equal to DOT) check welding trucks frequently and law states 100% vertical only. Maybe I will make the tank rack out of pipe with shaft inside so that I can lower to load and then raise and pin so that the tanks will be level with trailer floor. Mini elevator idea. What are everyone thoughts on that idea instead.

Default welding trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    You might want to consider a fold down or slide out work table from the side or back. Mount some electrical outlets near the work table so extension cords aren't needed at the table. Some places with 2" reciever hitch tubing installed to mount a vise, bench grinder, chop saw etc, so they can be changed out to suit job requirements. A few places to mount some lights may come in handy in case you end up having to work after dark.
    Go to Weldingweb.com and look under "Welding Projects & Pictures", there is a thread there titled "Let's see the welding rigs". There are over 500 replies to look over. Most are truck rigs but I'm sure you can get a BUNCH of ideas for your project there. If you only use half of the ideas from that thread you will need to seriously scale up this trailer.

Great ideas, I could make the work table like a fold down tailgate type of thing.

Default welding trailer

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinPRanch View Post
    Looks like a pretty efficient design.

The cable reels off the back look different from what I've seen before. Usually they are inside of the trailer. Might be a good idea, just not sure.

The bottles being low are good for changing them out as long as they are protected as Brian said. You will have to check but I think oxygen and acetylene bottles have to be separated by steel plate.

Do some calculations on weight distribution and plan axle locations accordingly. 12' span on the material rack might need to be considered. May need some support along the length for transporting lighter whippy materials.

Material list looks like it'll be plenty strong.

I'm looking forward to seeing it as you get it done.

Al

I am hoping to make the cable reels so that they will swivel so that I can lock them with a pin to either roll off of back or side. When in transit they will fold in flush with back of trailer. Thats what I am hoping anyway. As far as axles would anyone go with torsion axle as opposed to traditional axles.