Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default first projects .....................

I had someone try to break into my shed so I had to build this bar and install a camera, inside my house looking towards the shed. the back side has a plate as well and the studs are double nuted and welded. you can't break the studs off, it will just keep turning and turning. The lock is covered all the way around like a c shape, with a cap on top and a lower extension. the cap was last min. cut with a torch, no clean up, just tacked and sprayed so don't judge. it does it's job. the lower extension is welded on both sides. it looks weak but in fact is very strong. can't get a pair of bolt cutters on my lock. I also covered the outher side. should slow em down at least.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

looks good. get a can of expanding foam to shoot in around where you cut the siding. it will keep drafts and critters out.
    its a shame you have to do such a thing in your back yard. just sucks.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Smile

the wrench was cut shortened and welded back together a couple years ago. I ended up shortening a whole set, up to 3". I had to cut one wrench to remove a rotery manifold on an excavator. after that I figured I might as well have a whole set shortened. a rotery manifold prevents the hyd. lines from twisting when the excavator turns in circles. much like a fancy neck on a bmx bike. only instead it prevents the brake lines from twisting. same thing. for those who don't know. The next picture is my first aluminum box. I think it was my second day on aluminum. to practice I used to make little boxes out of 1/8" flat bar. I'd then grind the welds flat so it's a perfect square. I made lots of these of boxes. I would seal them up and let them float in the bathtub to see if they were completley sealed. Ive made many since then and have been improving every time. I've made a few projects but gave them away as gifts. tomorrow I'll burn some beads and take some pictures. One project I made was a x-mass gift for my younger brother. he's a major pothead. he lives with a roommate and doesen't own a plate, let alone a tool. so what I did was made a rectangle box, put the crappiest shake joint I could find in a little metal cylinder and sealed it in the box. marry x-mass you little prick ............lol lol my wife even engraved "Emergency" on it with fancy flowers etc. I told him it was full of pot and to only open it on his absolute worst day. lol I can see it now.............ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, oh it hurts. I can picture him shaking, red in the face, trying to get into this box without tools, cuts all over his hands, beads of sweat forming, swearing out loud while he talks to him self. only to find some burnt black ash. but there should still be just enough to be able to catch just a hint of a whiff. ha ha ha ha ha ha ................oh, too funny. if I had of figured a way I would of fedex a fart in a sealed box. lol. another project was for the inlaws. it was a sweet looking couple sitting side by side, holding eachother. the figures are made of nuts,bolts and washers. they also match up and fit together in doggy. lol. ...............................
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Talking

one of my first welds when I first got my machine. I was having problems at the begining and end of my welds. now I pre heat more and have more heat control. I also stopped using pulse when I do my tack welds, switching to pulse when I do my main bead. I've had way better results since. I'll try to get some updated pictures tomorrow. these pictures are using the pulse for tacks. i find when tacking with pulse its very touchy. I think I'm just impatient. I would push the pedal just a little bit more to get er to melt and fuse together but before I knew it there's too much heat input, and by the time I relized it it's too late. I look back at it now and think DDDDUUUU ...
    now I can see the way my puddle is behaving a mile away. in the pictures you'll see on the bottom is a bead I did on the first day of my aluminum adventure. I blew rait through it. picture this ............a guy welding a part using a contaminated tungsten and the whole thing is literally melting into liquid and folding in. the guy (could be me) just keeps burning a crater, as it bubbles and grows bigger lol what does the guy do? more power.....MORE POWER .............lol............"honey I don't get it, what am I doing wrong?"
    its kinda like driving, you have to plan ahead and look ahead, you cant just look directly in front of your car and floor it, well some morons would lol, wouldn't surprise me. you'd crash right, I find it the same for welding aluminum. I didn't relize at first how important heat imput is and how to cotrol it. bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ..................... like my spelling?
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Talking bayonet .....................

I was taking apart this bayonet to clean it up and give it some life and inside the handle I found what seemed to be dried blood inbetween the rubber gasket and the metal part of the blade handle. I know what your thinking ............ could just be rust but when I moved the gasket around it would come off flaking. I don't know if I'm on glue or what. I also found a little paper sticker with a signature on it and an assembly/line number. what?? are you going to tell me that the guy working in the factory had to sign his full name,first and last on every bayonet to go out the door. they must of sat at home signing little stickers on sticker cards all night while off work lol. couldn't they just have typed out employee numbers? when I took it apart I started getting ideas. like a spring loaded, double action automatic forearm bayonet. ya ya? lol lol .........that would be cool. .........shshshshink, out snaps a huge blade from within your sleeve firmly attached to your forearm. I once made a set of nun chucks out of aluminum in highschool. I said they were canlde holders lol. I put them on a lathe and shaved alot of weight. they were very cool. good way to crack your head open too if your not used to it, better practice with wood ones lol. the cops took them from me and charged me with poss. of a pohib weapon. I never took them out of the house or messed with them. I was pulled over and they found them while I was getting them from a friends house. I don't blame them thoe. I think I was like 15 or 16. and mature too........lol lol ..........dont worry, I wont destroy the bayonet.
    Last edited by Dustyhaze75; 02-05-2008 at 03:19 AM.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Talking expanding foam

ya thanks, I'll do that.............hopefully I'll be in something larger this summer. why didn't I think of that. dddduuuuuuu. I was planning on putting up some drywall or even playwood but I got my head into my welder and outher things further up on the to do list. thats a good idea, it never even crossed my mind.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyhaze75 View Post
    I had someone try to break into my shed so I had to build this bar and install a camera, inside my house looking towards the shed. the .
    Good IDEA.. I plan install DVR Security in my garage in future..
    MillerMatic 211

couldnt the pins on the door hinges be taped out and the door slid out?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Talking

not without making alot of noise and having the sights a 7mm pointed up your @ss.......
    lol lol and I'd have you on tape........................and I have neighbours on all sides. the two beside me are very close. the culdesac has one access. so you would have to drive through all the houses to get to mine. good luck. the whole place would wake up if you dropped a pin. I also know a guy that has his camera pointed at the entrance of the culdesac. I also plan on taking the wheels off my machine and setting it on blocks. oh .........and watch the improvized shotgun shell mines. they were used in the viet cong in nam. lol lol if someone is going to try .....................they better be ready to go through life missing a limb or two ...............
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Exclamation

wile it dose sound like a good idea and fair revenge, bobby traps are a bad idea. layers will kill ya.
    a deer run spotter type camera would be a better idea. nice flash to let him know he is busted then no ones stupid 14 year old get you in cort and owns you for life.
    you will definitely want to look closer at security if you start doing any work out of the shop and it starts to grow. i would not be too worried about the syncrowave its too big and heavy to steel in most cases. but a bag full of those great snap on air tools , thats another story.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES