Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default 1984 bluestar 2E engine swap???retrofit???

Well I have recently become the proud owner of a 2E with the 16hp tecumseh and looks like it has led a full life. I have priced what replacement parts I could find and they are worth way more than I paid for the whole setup with a trailer haha. I am gonna surely run it till it falls off the welder but is there any way possible to swap it out with a cheaper later model engine and if so wich would be the way to go? any help please. I know where another is with a dead engine for cheap.

Sure you can swap it out. All you have to do is match shaft sizes and possibly modify the mount to accomodate a shorter or taller engine, but it can be done. You can even use the couplers, like the ones they use on log splitters and such to connect dissimilar shafts. Just be sure to get the right size for the hp rating of the new engine. It will take work and a little head scratching, but it can be done. A MMS member swapped a Bobcat Onan P216 for a Kohler Command CH23, IIRC...works and runs like a top now.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Default Blue Star 2E

Quote Originally Posted by mercuno View Post
    Well I have recently become the proud owner of a 2E with the 16hp tecumseh and looks like it has led a full life. I have priced what replacement parts I could find and they are worth way more than I paid for the whole setup with a trailer haha. I am gonna surely run it till it falls off the welder but is there any way possible to swap it out with a cheaper later model engine and if so wich would be the way to go? any help please. I know where another is with a dead engine for cheap.
    Did you get the private message I sent you????????

Griff

yes I did. thanks for the info. I am leaning towards just trying to sell it all and save up for something a little newer because if it dumps out on me I will be losing an arm and a leg to fix it.

i might be interested in the unit, i have had one for years, but about a year ago it quit welding/generating, and i can't find parts. PM me?