Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: air compressor

Default air compressor

I have an Idea to make an air compressor that i doubt any one has thought of before, an air powered air compresor. THe basic idea is to replace the motor with an impact wrench and have the wrench drawing air from the compressor a the same time the pump is suplying air to the tank. The compressor would have to be compressed the first time though anaxilary source, but if the tank doesnt leak it can alwase produce all of the power i needs. the impact would be tunrned on and off by means of a ball valve

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    I have an Idea to make an air compressor that i doubt any one has thought of before, an air powered air compresor. THe basic idea is to replace the motor with an impact wrench and have the wrench drawing air from the compressor a the same time the pump is suplying air to the tank. The compressor would have to be compressed the first time though anaxilary source, but if the tank doesnt leak it can alwase produce all of the power i needs. the impact would be tunrned on and off by means of a ball valve

What happens when the tool you're using and the impact running the compressor consumes more CFM than the pump can produce?

How can I hold the trigger on the impact and run the air tool 75ft away simultaneously?

How will the blows from the anvil in the impact affect operation and longevity?

Finally, EVERY air compressor I've ever used eventually leaks down.

I'll give you credit for trying, but I think your idea needs a lot of work.
    Big 40 Deluxe
    12RC
    WC-24
    30A

Dynasty 700

XMT 456
    Custom Cart w/the following:
    S-74DX
    Optima Pulser
    Coolmate 3
    XR Control Box
    XR Alumna Pro Python W/C

CP 302 w/22A
    MM210
    Synchrowave 180 SD

Spectrum 2050

TB 302
    12RC
    WC-24
    30A
    HF 251 D1

Dynasty 200 Coming Soon

While your at it put an electric motor on your engine drive instead of the engine and let the machine make its own power to run itself.

Trust me your not the only person to think of that.

The air draw of the air motor that you would need to run it would consume more air than it would give out in power.

I do congradulate you on trying to come up with a good idea.

Dont give up on your inventions.

Like if you really wanted to get creative you could put a big air storage tank in the trunk of a car and then you could get a really big air motor to replace the engine and, like, you then could connect a compressor to the drive shaft so it would compress air in the tank in the trunk and then the compressed air could run the engine air motor and it would move the car and the drive shaft would run the compressor to fill the tank in the trunk and the air motor would move the car......... and....by golly, you've got free energy!
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill
    Walker Turner Drill Press

I wasnt to sure it would work either but I thought I would throw it out ther I also had an idea to do this with a lawnmower, but I dont think that will work either now. If i get the chance and have the parts laying around some time I may try it as an expiriment

Talking

'Perpetual-motion machine' is the basis of the concept and it's been tried in so many different concepts it's amazing. Keep at it, nobody's come up with a way to do it without the addition of more energy to keep the process going. If you succeed, you'll have done what no other scientist or physicist has been able to do, and they've been at it for centuries!

Tesla will be a clown compared to you!

Einstein who?

Quote Originally Posted by MTBob View Post
    Like if you really wanted to get creative you could put a big air storage tank in the trunk of a car and then you could get a really big air motor to replace the engine and, like, you then could connect a compressor to the drive shaft so it would compress air in the tank in the trunk and then the compressed air could run the engine air motor and it would move the car and the drive shaft would run the compressor to fill the tank in the trunk and the air motor would move the car......... and....by golly, you've got free energy!
    I was just going to post that I have considered this also, but another dea is o eliminte the compressor and replace the air tank with the big CO2 cylinder off the MIG, refuel at your local welding suplier.

Some Creep- I have herd of a perpetual motion machine, herd no one has done it(yet) and thought of the benifits of figuring it out.

metalmeltr

If your last idea is to run air tools from a CO2 cyl. it can and does work. You can buy small CO2 bottles, like those used on paintball guns at Lowes. They sell a regulator and hose kit to be used with those to power nailguns. You can get the bottles filled at any location that fills paintball guns.

I have a similar setup for my nailers. Instead of spending money on the paintball tanks I use several small SCUBA cylinders I have (19cf). I use scuba reg to lower the pressure down to 125 from 3000 then use a std air reg to adj the pressure to the gun. I already have the hoses to refill the small bottles from either my doubles or the large K bottles of breathing gas I get at the LWS. I use this setup when I just have to shoot in a couple of nails on a single door for example. Otherwise I just break out the pancake comp. and use that if I have any quantity to do.

The biggest issue with this is that many tools like impact wrenches eat a LOT of volume. I think my impact gun eats 6cf/m + at 100psi. A large tank will work but don't expect long usage from a fill. You also have to be sure the reg can handle the volume required.

I can and do use the big comp air bottles to run my plasma. The dry air from the bottles works better than that from my comp. Since I already have the air it just makes sense.
    Last edited by DSW; 02-05-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Perpetual motion, I aint thought of that in years.
    Gravity and friction are the killers of perpetual motion.
    Good luck with it.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

With the talk of running air tools of tanks.

Make sure that you never use pure oxegen to run air tools.

The sudden blast of the oxegen inside the air tool can be fatal.
    Also never use oil on your torches or gauges.

They actually say that if you ever decide to fix your own regulators that the natural oil in your hand is enouph to cause an explosion.