Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Talking Please help me find a school to start my career in welding.

Howdy yall.

Im a newb if you couldn't tell already, anyway im a senior in highschool and ive been welding for about two years now at the school and im pretty proficient with stick, MIG and some TIG but not much. ive decided to be a welder and ive got a couple of questions that I figured yall could help me out with..first off ive decided to go to a welding school it's not for sure yet but im most likely going to go to Tulsa welding school in Oklahoma, have any of yall been ther or heard of it what your view of it???? second I havent figured out what type of welding to work in pipewelding, joints, mig, etc. what line of welding career is more,"rewarding." third- the school I mentioned earlier also has a inspecting school aswell and it would only take an extra 7 months and 14 grand to graduate, Should I do it????. thank you for all your help. And you have ___ANY___ "advice,critisism,pointers,etc." you can give to me id be much obliged.

Thanks,

PigPen
    Last edited by PigPen; 02-04-2008 at 07:30 PM.

do you mean 14 grand more?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

thats how much the tuition is for the inspecting course overall..
    what I would end up doing is goin and getting the master welder course out
    of the way which will cost 14 grand for 7 months then the other 7 months for the inspecting course is another 14 grand...

over all the bill would be 28 grand for 14 months to get the inspecting license. or I could just do the master welder for 14 thousand or half as much, in seven months and forget the inpectors license.

Have you ever heard of tulsa welding school?

Lightbulb

is this the only school you have looked at ??? and is it near home ??

i ask as i'm wondering if you are just choosing whats near you ?
    seems like i heard Hobart and lincoln both have welding schools. i think i would look very closely into the placement rate and the jobs open to me before getting on the hook for $14,000 or $24,000 .
    welcome to the site. lots of great guys and info here.
    i would try reposting with " need help finding a good welding school " as the title. could get you more responses. also post on the motor sports ( ask andy) side as well. most read both but not all, best to get all the exposure you can.

good luck with school
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

YA ive seen you around alot of the topics, the only reason I didn't use that title is school is great but if I can't find the form of welding that I can focus on in school then school is worthless.

No it's about an 9-10 hour drive but im intentionally doing this to get out of the house.

supossedly my welding instructor right now says tulsa is a top natch place. and he's not one to lie but I figured there was such an accumulation of knowledge here that id ask yall.

also what do you think of the inspecting idea??

Welding in general can be very rewarding, but what I find rewarding you might not. You'll have to try a few different things and see what YOU find rewarding.
    If you want to be an inspector then spend the $14,000 otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, it would be time and money that could be spent polishing your trade. Besides I think all inspectors should have to weld in the field for a pre-determined amount of time before becoming a certified inspector.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

I also had been looking at Tulsa, even got some mail from them. I don't like it for the big city enviroment, i'm from small-town NW Oklahoma and don't like many people in one area, thats why i'm looking into a small vo-tech here local that has an excellent welding program. I've heard that TWS is an excellent school, but I have also heard that about Lincoln's program, it's really more what you prefer. Glad to know i'm not alone in wanting to go into welding for a career. I've been welding about 4 years now and enjoy every minute of it.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s
    2 Miller MM252s
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
    Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

thank you all for helping me out...

Money isn't an issue, both my parents have said they will pay tuition to do the master welder program but if I want to go and do the inspector program im going to have to fork up the money myself...which is 14 grand I dont have.

are any of yall inspecting at the moment?? if so what do you think?

I noticed earlier some of yall said inspectors should have to weld out in the field as a right of passage, and I just wanted to say I 100% agree.

I just thought id add a thanks to rodney here.. also I wanted to state im from southeast texas and right now DOW, GSI, Zachry,etc are begging for millwrites, welders, machinist, and basically anybody they can get their hands on to come and work for them.

Are any of yall welding underwater? because some of the **** ive heard about those guy's
    and the money they get just makes me want to drop everything im doing and go for it.
    Last edited by PigPen; 02-05-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Default Inspector

PigPen, I cant answer for you about being a welding Inspector but I am an Inspector in the construction field. I will tell you, get some experience under your belt before you become an inspector, otherwise you wont make it. I did 25 years of construction before I became an inspector. I went back to school at 50, you're never too old to learn. Some of the older generation (not all) will see a young guy fresh out of school pointing out their mistakes and wont take it kindly. It is hard to explain and its not personal at all, its an age thing most of us will experience. I saw a lot of it when I first started my inspection field but once they knew I had the experience, things went well and I get the respect as well as give it. It is much easier to see the difference between the ones trying their best and the ones trying to paint a pretty picture.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default Tulsa-Inspecting

Hey pigpen and welcome to the site.

I agree with some of the guys about learning all you can from the welding side then see what else you would be interested in doing after you have done that, and who knows things might have changed and you decide to go another route with-in the welding field. I've been doing this for over 15-20yrs and yes times I look back and think what if I had takeing some other classes or who knows what, the point is if you enjoy welding then by all means get the most out of it that you can while your still young.

I agree with kbar and the other guys on the inspector issue, it would be in your best intrest if you all ready know how to weld and know what your talking about when inspecting becuase if you don't guys will pick up on it real kwick then you could end up with a bad reputation in the trade for not knowing your stuff and thats not a good thing to have in any trade for that matter, (just some thing to think about) any way I wish you the best of luck in what ever you go with, also it's nice your parents are willing to support your and the cost so do well and offer to REPAY THEM when you start making good money, it will make a HUGE differance when you might need help again from them in your welding job search and training (just a thought)