Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Welding questions.

Hello everyone am new to the forums have been reading them for acouple days. and decided to sign up for them to ask a few questions if you dont mind taking a few minutes and answering them it would be much appreciated.

1. what is proferred for boot hight 6" or 8"

2. do automatic welding helmets come with a manual preset able shade level?
    (note: you know your welding at a sertain amps and preset the helmet to its recommended shade level, will the helmet get darker if needed but no decrease past that preset shade level?

3. what do you all recommend for respirators welding? both indoors and outside.

3a. what welding helmets can you use with those respirators if there are any limitations?

4. are independed spats better or the built on lace guards?

5. are there any welding helmets that come with a built on leather flap to lessen light glare from behind?

5a. does adding it on change or void the manufacturing warrenty?

6. are coveralls with zippers or covered bottons preferred? which is safer if any diffrence and how?

6a. is high vison synthetic strips permittable within a welding worksite or is there some non synthetic specialty high vision strips if any needed?

bump.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

I'll respond to question 6:

Zippers and welders are not friendly. Buttons are less likely to experience damage from spatter
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Default Question 1

No lace up for me. I have always worn pull on boots. There will be a time you
    will want to take them off in a hurry, also no stiching to burn.

Old but New

mishmac,

Welcome to the forum. If you don't see what you are looking for in the first few threads, check out the search feature in the upper right hand corner.

Question 1. In most cases boot height is user preference. I like the 8" lace up style. They provide excellent ankle support. Leather boots and leather laces are less likely to burn up from hot sparks and hot slag.

Question 2. Most automatic welding helmets are adjustable from shade 9-13. Some, like the Optrel Satellite, are adjustable from 5-13. The 5-9 shades are typically used for low amperage GTAW. When the arc is struck the helmet lens will darken to the preset shade. It will not darken past the preset shade #. number. If the arc is too bright, adjust the shade darker allowing a clear view of the welding puddle. The shade must be set with a dial on the helmet.

Question 5. I am not familiar with any helmets having guards for shielding backlight. I cut my own from thin leather. I use a thin magnetic strip glued to the helmet back with contact cement. I also glue a thin magnetic strip to the leather flap. I keep an assortment of extra flaps. This makes for easy removal and replacement. The flaps will help shield your eyes from back lighting as well as keep sparks from rolling down your neck. Question 5a. Adding such a shield should not affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Question 6a. Safety clothing is typically job site specific. Check the manufacturer's specification on visibility strips. You want something non flammable. Somewhat off topic is clothing. Cotton is the safest choice. Polyester and cotton blends will go up in flames in only seconds if ignited. Sometimes all is takes is a few sparks. Be safe.

HAWK
    Last edited by HAWK; 08-12-2011 at 07:37 AM.

thanks for the replies, much apprecate it

Mishmac......
    Here is my preference for a welding helmet. The Speedglas model I bought comes with a hard hat included.................

2008-09-05_5.jpg

For boots I use steel toe 8 inch high lace ups.........
    pg
    Dynasty 200 DX_set up on 3 phase
    Coolmate 3
    MM 251 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    HTP 625 Micro Cut Plasma Cutter
    Victor O/A Rig
    Bridgeport Mill_3 phase (w/ Acu-Rite 4 axis DRO)
    10 inch South Bend Lathe_3 phase
    Baldor Double Cup Tool Grinder_3 phase
    Baldor 10 inch Buffer
    Rockwell 12 inch Disc Sander
    Cyclone 2ft X 3ft Bead Blast Cabinet
    Quincy 325 2stg- Air Compressor_3 phase
    Graymills Built-in Parts Washer
    Rockwell/Delta Planer, HD Shaper, Uni-Saw etc.

For your first question, Red Wing boots. I finally wore out a pair after 2 years, was in a rush for replacements & picked up a pair of timberland pros, they were horrible, after 1 10hr day took them back & went back to red wings. Might have to look a little harder to find red wings locally but your feet will thank you.

Mishmac:

Were you able to get your homework assignment done on time?
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

leave them coveralls alone wear jeans and a kaki snap up welding shirt.you never wanna weld in coveralls because of the chance for a fire to break out on your clothing .you wanna have clothing that you can just grab and yank off at a moments notice. any frayed ends on your clothing should be snipped off they are just a fire waiting to ignight.stick with a snap up shirt and jeans and you'll be ok.oh and no polyester blend make sure it's 100%cotton that poly melts and it ain't fun when it does.