Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default First furniture: computer game station

I picked up this SlikStik arcade controller several years ago, on a whim. It works pretty well. But, it's too heavy to have on your lap, and, if you put it on a desk or table, the height, angles and sliding around make it uncomfortable to use. I've always wanted to make a custom setup around the controller, even though my interest in games has waned.

Here it is, my first shot at a piece of furniture. Not bad, I think. Also my first shot at finishing wood. The frame is 1 x 1 1/2 x 14ga. retangular tubing. 1-inch angle at front and back of the controller. The wood is from a 2 x 4 foot piece of 1 1/4 inch cheap pine scrounged at Lowes for half price due to a banged up corner. My spray painting skilz are coming along, with this looking quite deep and glossy.

MM180, and some O/A to remove some warpage. I'm still being haunted by warps where a cross-piece ties in to another that has a free end. That had caused the monitor shelf supports to droop at the 2-inch support, and had caused the front legs to be a half-inch closer at the bottom than at the top.

Here's a bigger image
    Last edited by EdZep; 02-04-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Cool

Nice table looks really good keep on burning

Looks good........very neat
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Nice job on the stand. For warpage issues don't be afraid to just bend it back to where you want it. You can put a jack in between & jack it open or clamp it to something & pull on it, etc. You don't always have to straighten it with heat.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Wink

very cool ......................where did you get the big video game buttons?
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by DustyTwoSheds View Post
    Dug around a bit more. X-Arcade has the buttons for a buck each, in set of 20. X-Arcade sells controller consoles similar to mine, as well as other arcade pieces.

http://x-arcade.com/arcade_parts.shtml

Thanks all, for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Nice job on the stand. For warpage issues don't be afraid to just bend it back to where you want it. You can put a jack in between & jack it open or clamp it to something & pull on it, etc. You don't always have to straighten it with heat.
    MMW, well, I had first tried to spread the front legs with with a jack. It sprang back, and I was afraid if I went too far I might put a crease in it. I still used the jack when I used heat -- jacked it a bit past where I wanted it, heated it, and it stayed pretty well. But, I do have another item I'll try just the jack on, and see what happens.

Of course, I'd rather avoid the problem, if possible. I know I could weld in little bits. But, I wanted neat, continuous welds. I guess this is where TIG has an advantage over MIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyhaze75 View Post
    Dusty, I didn't make the controller, it's a unit from SlikStik. I just went looking for their website to link, and it's dead. Googled up a rumor of bankruptcy. A niche item with maybe too little demand. Yeah, those are heavy duty arcade machine joysticks and buttons.

Thumbs up That is totally...

Awesome Ed!!!

Being a PC guy and bit of gamer, myself - That is a wicked slick arcade setup. Seeing this has me seriously thinking that I should build myself a new computer desk to my exact specs. Great work - looks great. I'd be proud!

Best Regards,
    - Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Victor Super Range II O/A Torch
    - Milwaukee Dry Cut Chop Saw
    - Milwaukee Super Magnum 4.5" Grinder
    - Compact Bender w/ Scroll Attachment
    - Band/Ring Roller

Nice concept, even nicer implementation. Gave me the idea to do something similar for a custom recording desk for my home recording studio. Thanks for sharing!
    Bob

That that is is that that is not is not.

Default Chad and Bob

Thanks, and I'm glad I got you thinking. Yeah, there are a lot of possibilities for custom desks and work/play stations. I could really see racks full of gear for recording, or video editing, ham radio, etc.