Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need some expertise on makeing a shop drain grate.

like the title says, I built a new garage/shop, i put a drain in the floor near one of the big bay doors. the drain is 8' long by 14 1/2 " wide. the ledge around the hole is 1 1/2 high by a 1 1/2 wide. I'm unsure how to build this grate, there is going to be a fair amount of weight driving over it petty often, and i can't have sharp edges that could possibly pop tires. Sorry the ic isn't the best but its all i got ATM.

Attachment 27829

You should be able to order some pre-fabbed bar grating with a load rating you want, but you can always fab something up yourself.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

half the fun is making something up yourself. Just looking for a general idea on where to start. I was thinking some 1 1/2 angle iron for around the edges. then run some 1/4 " x 1 1/2 flat bar arcoss straight up and down, so when you are looking down you would just see the 1/4". DOes this make sense?

Buy a piece of bar grating & be done with it.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

do what the last guy said. i use a co. named mcnichols; not saying you should use them but their online cat will give you load specs for all kinds of gratings.

i wonder if there was ever a time in my working life that i thought making grating would be fun. maybe, but i must have been a long time ago; nowadays the first thing i do is think where i can buy it and then mark it up a bit.

Default if you really want to...

self-inflict yourself with a tedious job, well you can use high grade threaded rods, make 3 holes per 13 1/2 flat bar (100,125,150 + of those???) use 3 nuts per bars as spacers and repeat ad nauseam... about 400-500 holes and nuts...

i would definitely follow the "senior's" advice...and buy galvanized flo-forge or grouting or re-bar whatever the proper name is in your area

how about some 1.5 by .5 in flat bar on the long sides with a ton of 1 in rounds running across and sitting on the flat bar IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII like that kinda

Quote Originally Posted by mini-number1 View Post
    how about some 1.5 by .5 in flat bar on the long sides with a ton of 1 in rounds running across and sitting on the flat bar IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII like that kinda
    That's called Bar Grating, it can be purchased ready made or you can chose the tedious task of cutting all those 14.5" pieces and trying to get them lined up and welded together with the round stock. Bar grating usually has 1" spacing between the bars, over an 8' span that comes out to almost 100 pieces. Like MMW said just buy a piece of bar grating and be done with it.
    If you are anywhere near my location, I have some 1.5" bar grating that I might could be talked out of, but you do not indicate your area.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 08-09-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks for the help. I did a google search before i made this thread, but came up short never knowing the name of the product. I'm going to look into purchasing one in my area. (ontario, canada) i gess ill spend my time on making a new work bench and all the other goodies im going to need to fill my new shop.

Cheers!!

this can be a place to start, they are in canada

http://www.fisherludlow.com/bar_11.html