Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool

looks great, good to have ya with us.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Nice table, I found out with my bench no matter where you mount the vise, it will always be in the way at one time or another.

I took notice of the electrical boxes on the bench also, nice thought for a portable bench, my only worry would be making sure the cord is unplugged before you do any welding.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    Nice table, I found out with my bench no matter where you mount the vise, it will always be in the way at one time or another.

I took notice of the electrical boxes on the bench also, nice thought for a portable bench, my only worry would be making sure the cord is unplugged before you do any welding.

Yea I sorta pondered that also....not sure I would want that kinda power feeding back into my electric box.(at home) Would be a PITA to unplug it every time I started to weld and then plug back in again

Dang nice table tho...great work....looks like it would be fine anywhere.

Maybe someone who really knows their stuff will chime in on the electrical outlet issue.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    Table looks darn good and I like the color! You're right about the vise grips
    My only suggestion would be to put those little plastic deals in the outlets (the ones meant to keep little kids from sticking forks and such in) to keep grindings out - probably not a big deal but I know how my luck is
    Thanks Willy - The outlets are recessed immediately beneath the table about 2 or so inches so that should shield them from grind shaving, but I think I have some of those plastic insert covers around somewhere for good measure. I had thought about weatherproof recepticle covers with the flip covers, but I decided not to bother since I find those flip covers to be clumsy.

- Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Victor Super Range II O/A Torch
    - Milwaukee Dry Cut Chop Saw
    - Milwaukee Super Magnum 4.5" Grinder
    - Compact Bender w/ Scroll Attachment
    - Band/Ring Roller

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    looks great, good to have ya with us.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Yea I sorta pondered that also....not sure I would want that kinda power feeding back into my electric box.(at home) Would be a PITA to unplug it every time I started to weld and then plug back in again

Dang nice table tho...great work....looks like it would be fine anywhere.

Maybe someone who really knows their stuff will chime in on the electrical outlet issue.
    Thanks to everyone for your compliments and suggestions... it's great to have a medium to share.

Hmmmm... I didn't realize there would be a major problem with the electrical since we have a similar setup on our welding table at work (although it isn't a mobile platform). If someone with some electrical expertise could let me know if I am going to have problems. The electrical is grounded to the outlet boxes, thus grounded to the table and wired with 12/3 wire throughout. Could turning the outlets off with my switch (i.e. disconnecting the "hot") provide me a means of not having to disconnect before welding should it be deemed necessary? Or do I need a complete disconnect, ground and all?

Thanks for the heads up!

- Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Band/Ring Roller

Hello,
    Glad to have you on board, I am happy to see someone with great questions and great work habits. You have done some nice work, I like to see someone ask questions and take answers with some class.
    I am sure people here will help all they can (myself included if I am able) to answer your questions.
    Again good job, I might suggest locking casters for your table.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    Hello,
    Glad to have you on board, I am happy to see someone with great questions and great work habits. You have done some nice work, I like to see someone ask questions and take answers with some class.
    I am sure people here will help all they can (myself included if I am able) to answer your questions.
    Again good job, I might suggest locking casters for your table.
    Thank you Tim... I am here to share and hopefully learn something and therefore will certainly take anyone's constructive critism or guidance. I'm sort of a perfectionist so if something isn't right, I want to know how it is supposed to be done. I just hope I can offer something in return to this forum; My expertise is mobile electronics and computers so if something falls under my realm, I'll be sure to chime in and try to help.

- Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Band/Ring Roller

Default Hmmmm

Nice table , but the tool hangers and 11-R vise grips are a pain in the rear end . I had hangers on my table and found out that it was more convenient to just clamp them on to the rail with the release lever pointing in to the center of the table , they do not get knocked off neither do they fall off if you are pounding on the table JMTC . Other than that it is a real pretty table
    On the outlets on the table , I have smoked one extension cord in my shop when welding and it was not on my welding bench ! My bench has an outlet (GFCI) mounted to it and have not had any problems in 17 years of use . The outlet will trip if I use my 2050 close to it but it works just fine . The cord that smoked carried the full welding amperage from the work piece , through an old 1/4 B&D drill down another cord to a reciprocal saw and back into the ground clamp that had fallen off . Both tools had a three prong grounding plug , I replaced the ground clamp and have never had it happen again . Dan
    Tools to Men are like Shoes to Women you can never have too many .
    Miller XMT-304
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller 10-E Feeder
    Hobart 175 Handler
    Lincoln AC225
    And assorted others

Too true. My dad does wood working, so his bench is wood rather than steel, and the solution we came up with was to weld nuts to a 3/16 piece of plate, mount it to the underside of the bench, and just bolt or un-bolt the vise as necessary. It saves fumbling around with nuts, washers and a second wrench, so you're more inclined to move (or use) the vise rather than try to work around it.

-Morgan

Default Bench vise

Good looking table. As far as the vise goes i mounted mine on a piece of 1/4 plate that was welded to a piece of 2x2x1/4 tubing which slips into a piece of trailer hitch reciever tubing welded to the bottom of the table. I also welded 3/8 nots to the reciever part so the vise could be held securly with out wiggling.
    JIM