Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mobile Welding Table - My First Home Project

Hello everyone... I'm an emergency vehicle technician up here in Northern Maine and just recently started to learn how to MIG weld at work so I could make my own equipment brackets. I really enjoyed it; So one thing lead to another and I took an adult ed stick welding class this past December. Now I managed to get a Millermatic DVI2 MIG for Xmas so I can play at home.

Inspired by the large welding table project found here on the Miller website and few photos I found of other welding tables on the Internet, I have built my first welding project. It is a 2'x4' welding table on casters with built in electrical outlets on a 12' power cord extension...

- Millermatic DVI2
    - Victor Super Range II O/A Torch
    - Milwaukee Dry Cut Chop Saw
    - Milwaukee Super Magnum 4.5" Grinder
    - Compact Bender w/ Scroll Attachment
    - Band/Ring Roller

I have incorporated a few tool holders and will probably add some more as I go. I refurbished the bence vise seen here and have yet to bolt it down - not sure which side to put it on. I also have an emergency switch on the right side to shut down the outlets should need be.

This is a pretty cool forum and I hope to frequent it a bit - all sorts of neat ideas to draw from.

Cheers All!

- Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Band/Ring Roller

Default that's right nice

Well detailed, attractive. And, a good number of Vise-grips. I left mine unpainted, thinking, like you, that I might add stuff later.

Quote Originally Posted by EdZep View Post
    Well detailed, attractive. And, a good number of Vise-grips. I left mine unpainted, thinking, like you, that I might add stuff later.
    Thanks! You can never have enough vise-clamps! I also love to use my bag-full of magnetic clamps; They all came into good use to build my table.

I don't mind brushing off some of the paint to add a few more holders. I definately plan to add some more 1/4" rod pegs on the strip below my current ones for more tools. I just ordered some 18" ball-bearing drawer slides and plan to fab a shallow drawer to hold grinding discs, soapstone, gloves etc.

I need to make a standalone table for the chop saw and rack for my steel stock.

- Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Band/Ring Roller

Default I like the drawer idea

...and/or partial enclosure. But, I'm holding off anything like that, until -- hoping to have a brake to get some structural bends, and not have to weld every edge.

Yeah, I got a 4 inch magnetic corner square to help with mine, but, it wasn't truly square. Even exchanged it for one that was just slightly better. I'll buy a better one, if such exists. And, with the collection of filings/grindings accumulated, I can see where the switchable ones would be better.

Default mobile welding table

Hello and welcome to the site,
    very nice table you got and glad to see you put alot of thought in to what works for your needs. Also a good thing to have a shut-off switch for the saw. some thing to think about when making a drawer is even though the drawer will be of steel or if you make it from aluminum the amount of weight your putting in it and the capacity of the slides you use to hold the drawer with, the reason I say this is I've made drawer base's for race trailers and it never fails when we tell not to overload the drawers with stuff for fear of bottoming out on the other drawer lips,but like I said it is some thing to think about and I'm sure you have done your research on what you need to make things work. So best of luck to you and your welding projects and keep the pics come .

Welcome to the site as well & nice neat work. You put some nice features as in electrical,vise holders etc. Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing your project. How do you like your welder so far?

Quote Originally Posted by safetydave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the site,
    very nice table you got and glad to see you put alot of thought in to what works for your needs. Also a good thing to have a shut-off switch for the saw. some thing to think about when making a drawer is even though the drawer will be of steel or if you make it from aluminum the amount of weight your putting in it and the capacity of the slides you use to hold the drawer with, the reason I say this is I've made drawer base's for race trailers and it never fails when we tell not to overload the drawers with stuff for fear of bottoming out on the other drawer lips,but like I said it is some thing to think about and I'm sure you have done your research on what you need to make things work. So best of luck to you and your welding projects and keep the pics come .
    Thanks Dave, I ordered a few sets of 100lbs capacity drawer slides. I don't plan on putting too much weight into the drawer and keeping it shallow; I don't want it to sag either. I also plan to put dividers into the drawer to keep it organized and possibly act as gussets to keep the bottom rigid.

I like the idea of putting a similar electrical shut-off in my dedicated saw table plans and will have extension cord built into that table as well. Good thinking.

- Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Band/Ring Roller

Quote Originally Posted by metal-doctor View Post
    Welcome to the site as well & nice neat work. You put some nice features as in electrical,vise holders etc. Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing your project. How do you like your welder so far?
    Thanks Metal-Doctor - I love my DVI2 thus far. I do have a dedicated 230V outlet which allows me to make the most of it, however I did use it on 115V this past week to weld some light stuff - I was still impressed. I never would have thought how much fun it is to have a welder at home. I love pumping out projects

- Chad
    - Millermatic DVI2
    - Band/Ring Roller

Thumbs up Welcome aboard...

Table looks darn good and I like the color! You're right about the vise grips
    My only suggestion would be to put those little plastic deals in the outlets (the ones meant to keep little kids from sticking forks and such in) to keep grindings out - probably not a big deal but I know how my luck is