Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

From what I'm reading the Plywood is not sitting on top of the 1.5 square tube
    beam

..the Weld tab is going to be carrying the load of the 18" x 7' 3/4" Plywood and also the sheite ya shove on the shelf.

I assume you are using Weld tabs so that the wood sits flush with the 1-1/4" steel, for Aesthetics
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

While you are calculating
    Substitute 1" x 2" x 11ga rect tube.

84" x 18" shelf, bet you get to 500lbs/shelf pretty easy.
    That is equally loaded as all shelf systems state
    Assemble the rect tube 2" tall
    You might be able to save some $ and use 1/2" plywood.

Cost... almost the same.
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

hi,just look at the shelving inits they sell at menards, lowes, or home depot. they are tooth pick material and have load ratings that scare me. you can even check out the pallet shelving ratings for a closer look.i would just make sure you run the plywood grain in the right direction.good luck, bob

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    From what I'm reading the Plywood is not sitting on top of the 1.5 square tube
    beam

..the Weld tab is going to be carrying the load of the 18" x 7' 3/4" Plywood and also the sheite ya shove on the shelf.

I assume you are using Weld tabs so that the wood sits flush with the 1-1/4" steel, for Aesthetics
    My assumption was that the wood was on top of the tubes and that the tabs were on the back side of the tube flush with the top so that screws could go through the tab rather than through the tube. A lot of furniture is constructed like that.

yeah could be that way also- dunno, no drawerings
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Yeah the tabs are just to secure the wood to the tubing. The wood will be sitting on the tubing. I will be picking up the metal on monday, and hopefully my new digital elite helmet will be here early next week as well.

I started cutting the steel tonight. Going to get everything prepped, and laid out so I can start welding first thing Saturday morning. It was 108 degrees out there this evening. Pictures to come once I get something worth taking a picture of.

It is now mostly done. I need to weld on the tabs to secure the wood shelves, weld on some plate feet to make it easier to level, weld on the wall stand-offs, with lag bolt tabs to secure it to the wall so it won't tip, and then add some paint, before finally screwing down the wood.

In the last picture you can see the mess I am trying to organize. It will go in the spot where the 2 flimsy shelves are located, and what doesn't fit on this shelf, or have a spot on my future work bench or welding table, will find a home in someone else's home, or the dumpster.

At that point I will have enough space to work and not trip over extra truck parts, and christmas decorations.
    IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg

Default Well that's one way to do it...

...but why the extra cutting and welding? Full length legs would have reduced your work a ton...and save yourself from more work but skipping the tabs and notch the wood. Secure it if you must with self tapping flat head 1/4" screws into the tubes. I would have (and did) use 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle for it all. that will hold anything I can lift up on it.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboyracer View Post
    ...but why the extra cutting and welding? Full length legs would have reduced your work a ton...and save yourself from more work but skipping the tabs and notch the wood. Secure it if you must with self tapping flat head 1/4" screws into the tubes. I would have (and did) use 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle for it all. that will hold anything I can lift up on it.
    By doing it this way the load of each shelf is supported directly by the leg section underneath. If he had made full length legs, the load of each shelf would have been supported by the welds themselves. The welds in this case just keeps everything lined up where it needs to be. He also gets more hood time to play with his new MM210.