Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tig filler rods for carbon steel

Perhaps someone can answer this question about tig filler rods based on facts.

I've seen many welders sand the copper coating from the filler rods before they will weld. I've never done this. I can't see where it makes any difference, but maybe I don't have the experiance to see the difference.
    They all swear by it, and would never weld without first sanding the copper off. Anyone with a real answer? Oh and what about my 308 rods? I see people sanding those too. I hope I'm not opening a can of worms..

as i understand it the copper is vaporized by the heat needed for steel welding. i'll see if i can find that in writing for ya. seems i remember reading it in one of my welding books, but i could be wrong. i'll look for it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I welded nuclear pipe for over 30 years and never sanded the coating off any type of rod. I never saw anyone in the company sand any carbon steel at all and we welded miles of pipe in the reactors and outlying areas. I think it may be a preference for some in the different fields. I really don't think it makes a difference. I am sure I will hear repercussions from this but I feel sanding is not needed.

Thanks
    Wheelchair

I never have when welding pipe,although i have seen some welders wiping them down with emory cloth. unless there is a light coat of rust its pointless in my book.
    see no point in any others,except aluminun wire.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

I have never done this with mild steel or stainless, but I have used scotch brite pad or emory cloth on aluminum. But maybe they know something I don't.

some of the guys i work with do , the only reason they give is sometimes it will leave what looks like a flake of silica (for the lack of abetter word) at the end of the weld.
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Victor O/A
    Chop Saw
    Porta-band
    grinders
    hand tools

this has been covered and i'm sure a search will turn it up. the copper is the lubricant used to extrude the wire, it also helps stop corrosion. I forget what happens to it in the welding process but as i remember it is not in any way harmful.

thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Sanding rods

All BS............just use 308 / 316./ or best yet 310 stainless for all your needs and it'll work the best .......... it's stronger then a steel weld, you have constant supply of rods , if ya need it for SS ya got it ............ and it's pure weld............

Smile Tig rods

Why would you want to use the more expensive SS rod on carbon steel as most steel is going to be painted. The last time I bought 1/16 308 tig rods at my lws they were $12.00 a lb. and 316 was much more. I am not trying to downplay what your choice may be, but it seems like a waste of money. I would not want to pass that on to my customers.

Thank you and good luck
    Wheelchair