Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I havent visited this or any of the other weld forums in a while and after seeing the petty bickering on this one i remember why I stopped checking them out.
    WELDCKR
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller Spectrum 3080
    Hobart Beta-Mig
    Lincoln Square wave 175
    Victor Jouneyman
    Whole bunch of Dewalt stuff

Little off the welding topics but here goes. I just happen to raise, train and sale birddogs. They stay in 6'x10'x6' tall concrete kennels. that are cleaned twice a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. I own right at 400 acres, and try to let the dogs out as much as possible to run and play. But what most people don't understand about hunting dogs is they are not your average house pet, they are way to high strung, and most good ones breed to tight to make good house dogs or even just family pets. when i turn them loose the only thing they think is hunt. not play fetch, lay on porch,HUNT. Now we have a 135lb rottie thats suppose to be the guard dog that sleeps with my 3 year old at night and roams a 400 acre pin every day. My point is you shouldn't judge what a person thinks of thier dogs by thier living quarters. my personal hunting stock seems to be pretty **** happy to me.

This could have been a good thread. Not everybody who needs a 16 by 6 kennel is planning for it to be a permanent home for the dog. Some of us could use a safe place to confine the pup for a few hours for his own protection. I often do woodworking projects in the back yard and my dog Bruno likes to try to help. I sometimes find him on the out feed end of a table or miter saw trying to catch all the sawdust. He thinks it is fun, but it is not a safe place for him to be. At times I need to leave the drive through gate open for a period of time while shuffling vehicles etc. My dog does not like being in the house alone much, and I think a small kennel would be a good place, much better than a crate, to keep him safe while some activities are going on in his yard. He could still watch and communicate without putting himself in danger. He is laying at my feet right now, waiting to follow my next move, so I do not think he feels mistreated.

Personally I'd like to see all the hints and tips of building such a portable kennel, even if it never makes it past my "to do list".
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II

Good point Stick Man.
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II

Quote Originally Posted by nitrex View Post
    I should have clarified, I am planning to use drop pins in the corners. I haven't seen too many of these kennels, so I was hoping to get any suggestions or pics. I've searched the internet for pics and help, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Nitrex
    Personaly I like to put thier houses on the outside of the kennel and fasten it down that gives them that much more room. I made mine out of 1-1/4 pipe, used stock paneling for the sides as for hindges 1/2 pipe and 1/2 round rod they have held up pretty well. Sorry i'd take some pics but my digital cameras broke.

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I appreciate your view. I am not saying my view is the only way. My dogs ( 3 Chows) are my pets and I would not put them in an enviroment that I would not be comfortable in. They have a large fenced yard, access to the house and everywhere in between plus get to go for walks outside the boundries and are glad to get back. They have no job other than to have fun and show their affection. My dogs don't really fetch either although I think it would be cool if they did. They feed off us by the love and affection we give them. I have no reason to own a pet and have it any other way. You say hunting dogs only think "hunt". Maybe....if that's all they're allowed to do. Even lions sleep, play, and just goof off if given the chance. Not everyone understands the needs of a dog. I love my dogs and they know it. Some like
    their dogs and never really understand the dogs needs.....just their own. If you haven't guessed yet..........I also don't hunt. There is no reason for me to kill an animal other than to protect myself if necessary. These are my thoughts and views and in no way is it intended to start a war. I value all input but name calling by some can be left at the door. When some say they care........I ask how much................
    Nick

Hey not everone's cut out to hunt and kill where I come from its a way of life even down to are own beef. I do understand your thoughts on the K-9's. Me and the little girl just got back from bottle feeding her calf and turned all the pups loose they do like just acting crazy and playing til they got after momma's cats. probaly won't see them out of thier houses tonight after the hollering she did. I agree no place for name calling, Take care, William

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    There is no reason for me to kill an animal other than to protect myself if necessary.
    Nick
    Are you a Vegan?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

WOW! I didn't know I was raising such a controversial topic!

First, I don't imprison my dogs any more than anyone who ever placed their child in a car seat for a long trip across country. "I can't believe anyone would ever imprison their child who deserves to be free. Maybe we shouldn't put a newborn in a crib (jail)." Sounds like many people are not too consistent and value their pets above their own children.

Second, my dogs do serve me and my hobbies and I'm ok with that. They probably have a better life than most people in this country, and certainly in this world. They live in a climate control building with the option to go out to the runs. They are exercised everyday - probably more than you.

Third, if my hunting dogs where as worthless as your dogs, I may not keep them in a safe environment. I don't let my young children run around the yard and maybe run into the street, nor do I let my dogs. The street isn't the only danger a dog can get into. If you are willing to pay $3000-$10,000 for everyone of my dogs that gets hurt by free running, then I would tell you that you don't deserve to ever own a dog.

Fourth, dogs ain't humans! They don't love you!!!! They really could care less about you, your family, or anyone else. They do what they do to please themselves. If you died and stopped feeding them, they would eat your sorry body to stay alive.

Now to the kennel project -

Thanks for all those have helped and given some ideas. I need to come up with a good latch system. Any ideas? Also, with the square tubing, do I need to worry about it collecting water and freezing in the winter. I had a horse trailer that had water trapped in the tubing frame and split out when it froze. I guess if my welds are good, water won't penetrate. Should I drill a small hole at the bottom of each vertical to drain them?

Thanks again!

Nitrex

Nitrex,
    You could drill a drain hole in the bottom or just leave them open. Is this going to set on concrete or dirt? As for the latch, keep it simple. If you would like I could sketch out what I did with mine.

jrw159

Default Dog Pens

Nitrex
    I build mine using 1 x 2 tubing. Gives ya a little more meat to weld the panels on. Most of mine are 8' x 16', and 1+ panels tall(6'). The 16' panels have 1 brace in the middle, top to bottom.
    For a nice compact kennel, make 1 16' panel with 2 gates(1 on each end) and 4 plain 16' panels.....3 for the outside, 1 for the middle divider.........BAM..... 2 8'x16' runs. Prime...Paint...Enjoy!!!!

Not gonna get into the pissin' match.........but in my world, momma don't want 20 "Pointer rockets" flyin thru the house!!!!

Later,
    hogndog